Bigfoot

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Bigfoot

Postby Dr. Goodword » Tue May 27, 2014 10:44 pm

• bigfoot •

Pronunciation: big-fUt • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Noun, Verb

Meaning: 1. (Bigfoot) An imaginary animal that walks like a human, but is bigger than a human, known only by its large footprints and rare reports of sightings in the northwest US; sasquatch. 2. (Noun, slang) A prominent and influential person, a big wheel. 3. (Verb, slang) To quash, to trump (figuratively), to use one's influence to its limits.

Notes: Today's up-and-coming Good Word has been rising in the vocabulary of journalists since 2011. These new meanings for an old word were probably influenced by the phrase big footprint, originally referring to a big space occupied by something, or a large amount of resources required to sustain a person or organization. The plural for the noun is bigfoots, and the past tense of the verb is bigfooted.

In Play: Today's word refers to an activity that is not quite bullying, but pushing your influence as far as it goes: "Harold was a bigfoot lobbyist accustomed to having his way in the halls of Congress." It has been used verbally, too: "Gladys Friday had a wonderful idea about bonuses, but it was bigfooted by the boss."

Word History: Today's word was given to a mythical creature because of its large footprints. Now the word has been commonized to refer to "big wheels", people with considerable authority or influence. We are not sure where big originated. It most likely was borrowed from a regional Norwegian word bugge "powerful man" or the adjective bugga "rich, wealthy, powerful". Foot is a different matter. We have evidence of it throughout the Indo-European languages. The PIE original was pod-/ped- "foot". We find it in English as foot and fetlock. In Latin it was pes, ped- "foot", which turns up in words English borrowed, like pedal and pedestrian. In Greek the word for "foot" was pous, pod-, which we see in the words English borrowed directly from Greek, such as tripod and podiatry. In the Slavic languages it became a preposition, like Russian, Polish and Czech pod "under". (Thanks to Jeremy Busch, a Grand Panjandrum if not a bigfoot in the Alpha Agora, for discovering today's Good Word and reporting it in the Agora.)
• The Good Dr. Goodword

Philip Hudson
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: Bigfoot

Postby Philip Hudson » Sat May 31, 2014 3:34 am

I cannot imagine using definition 2. Is it a British thing?
It is dark at night, but the Sun will come up and then we can see.

call_copse
Senior Lexiterian

Postby call_copse » Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:43 am

Not heard 2 or 3 personally though I guess they make sense - they would just be overridden by 1 I'd think, sowing confusion.
Iain

Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Postby Dr. Goodword » Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:36 pm

The last two meanings have been used more than once in US new sources. They seem to be spreading.
• The Good Dr. Goodword

bnjtokyo
Lexiterian

Postby bnjtokyo » Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:44 am

There was a discussion of "bigfoot" in another thread in March, 2014
viewtopic.php?p=43064&hilit=bigfoot#p43064
And then I guess it became a WoD in May of that year (this thread).
Today I came across "bigfoot" in the wild and was completely stomped by it. So I sought clarification on this forum. Note that "bigfoot" is used as a transitive verb here by fairly prominent politician. I would also like to mention that this politician's stomping ground is the great northwoods.

Last week, energy secretary Jennifer Granholm told a discussion panel: “We are very concerned about China bigfooting our industry in the United States even as we’re building up now this incredible backbone of manufacturing.”
The Guardian, March 18, 2024
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2024/ ... c-vehicles
Last edited by bnjtokyo on Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

David Myer
Grand Panjandrum

Postby David Myer » Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:50 pm

The context of your Canadian quote, bnj, suggests a meaning like "stomping on". Sort of similar to The Good Doctor's meaning 3. But there are so many better words that don't carry mystery or ambiguity in their meanings. I would call it sloppy usage.

Return to “Good Word Discussion”