Anguish

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Anguish

Postby Dr. Goodword » Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:43 pm

• anguish •

Pronunciation: æng-gwish • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Noun, mass

Meaning: Severe mental distress, mental pain and suffering.

Notes: Anguish has few relatives. It may be used itself as an intransitive verb, as to anguish over whether the party will go well. The adjective is formed with the suffix -ed, anguished "suffering anguish". I think it safe to assume that anguishful and, especially, anguishous have not survived the scourge of time, a fate they both richly deserve.

In Play: We live, of course, in a world filled with anguish: "Scoring the winning goal for the opposition caused Cecil considerable anguish at the time, but he was back at the office Monday morning as though nothing had happened." If the world doesn't provide us enough anguish, we can create more ourselves: "Anguish over the thought of her hangnail returning caused Millicent to make 17 typos at work that day, a new record for her."

Word History: Today's Good Word comes to us, via Old French anguisse, from Latin angustia "distress", the noun from the adjective angustus "narrow, tight". So, Latin angere "to strangle" underlies our anxiety. The Latin word is a hand-me-down from PIE *angh- "tight, painfully constricted, painful", which also propagated German Angst and English angry. That pain in the finger, the hangnail, started out as Old English ang-nægl "painful spike, corn", and picked up an epenthetic [h] by folk etymology on its way here. Nagel remained in German meaning "nail" while in English it became, of course, nail. (Riutaro F. Aida never causes any anguish when he suggests fascinating terms like this one for our series.)
• The Good Dr. Goodword

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: Anguish

Postby LukeJavan8 » Sat Jun 07, 2014 12:42 pm

Who would have thought "hang-nail" had such a
glorious history?
-----please, draw me a sheep-----

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry Lassiter » Sat Jun 07, 2014 1:07 pm

Probably pedantic and semantic, but "anguished" is technically a participle, a verb form used as an adjective, but not adjective per se. Does verify its use as an intransitive verb.
pl

Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Re: Anguished

Postby Dr. Goodword » Sun Jun 08, 2014 11:10 pm

The determining factor in the decision as to whether a verb with the -ed ending is an adjective or past participle is, as which is it used most frequently? Do we hear, "I am anguished, I have been anguished, I anguished over someone" more than things like "anguished voice" and "anguished mother". I hear and read the latter more frequently. I rarely hear the verb at all.
• The Good Dr. Goodword

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry Lassiter » Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:12 am

Good point.
pl

Return to “Good Word Discussion”