Neoteric

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Neoteric

Postby Dr. Goodword » Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:36 pm

• neoteric •

Pronunciation: nee-ê-ter-ik • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Adjective

Meaning: 1. 'Newfangled', related to a new trend or fashion (opposite of ancient or antique), trendy. 2. Having a modern outlook.

Notes: This word is often used in the pejorative sense we feel in newfangled. Though it is not necessarily a pejorative word, it is often used sarcastically. It may be used as a noun denoting a modern, trendy thinker or writer, too. The abstract noun accompanying neoteric is neoterism "neologism, new word or expression; the (frivolous) use of new words or phrases". The verb is neoterize "to coin new words or expressions".

In Play: First, the use of today's word in its positive sense: "The only salvation for the country lies in neoteric ideas that scare conservatives and reactionaries." Now for the use of the word sarcastically: "The neoteric music played by current radio stations drives me up the wall!"

Word History: Today's Good Word was taken from Late Latin neotericus "modern, recent", also used as noun meaning "a person of modern views, a modern author". Latin borrowed the word from Ancient Greek neoterikos "youthful, modern in style", a derivative of neoteros, the comparative of neos "new" + -ikos "-ic", an adjective suffix. The remnants of Proto-Indo-European newo- "new" are strewn throughout the Indo-European languages: Greek neos, Latin novus, Sanskrit navah, Persion nau, Lithuanian naujas, Russian novyi, German neu, French neuf, Welsh newydd, not to mention English new. (Now it's time that we thank Dr. Margie Sved, an old neoteric friend, for recommending today's Good Word.)
• The Good Dr. Goodword

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: Neoteric

Postby Slava » Sat Dec 13, 2014 5:32 pm

The idea of neoteric ideas to save the world is now co-opted by the neoteric phrase "think outside the box."

Neoteric technology tends to bug me. Do we really, truly need all the latest gewgaws and gadgets the industry keeps shoving our way?
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: Neoteric

Postby Perry Lassiter » Sat Dec 13, 2014 8:10 pm

The Amish get by with all we truely need. Nevertheless we gain a richer world by neoteric discoveries. I read recently that Socrates lamented the spreading use of writing as destroying the need for excellent memories. I also have problems with planned obsoclescence, but am grateful for so many advances in medicine and electronics. Ironically, at this point cars don't travel faster than they did in the 1930's. Any improvement in speed has to do with infrastructure, like interstates.
pl

Return to “Good Word Discussion”