Affordance

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Affordance

Postby Dr. Goodword » Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:54 pm

• affordance •

Pronunciation: ê-ford-êns • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Noun, mass (no plural)

Meaning: 1. (Only in Cumberland, England) The amount someone can afford. 2. The function of something that is apparent from its appearance, a sensory clue as to the function of something, stimulus-response compatibility

Notes: It is easy to see that today's word is a derivative of the verb afford, but in a narrow sense of that word. It is at least theoretically based on the adjective affordant, which means "having a function that is readily apparent and available". A bar across a door has the affordance that it must be pushed to open the door. A knob is less affordant since it makes no such suggestion as to whether you pull it, push it or turn it.

In Play: Among the natural affordances are arrows, which simply indicate direction: left, right, up, down. But left- and right-pointing arrows on a website are specific: left-pointing means "go back" and right-pointing means "onward". This much we must learn. Natural affordances abound: "I'm not sure that I see the affordance Anita Job would bring to this company."

Word History: Today's word was introduced by James Gibson, in his 1977 article "The Theory of Affordances". Obviously, today's noun is a derivation of afford that has gone semantically awry. In Middle English it was spelled and pronounced aforthen, from Old English geforthian "to carry out", made up of ge- a perfective prefix + forthian "to further", from forth "forward". Although not common, the confusion of Ð [dh] with D in Middle English was not unheard-of. In fact, we have seen the confusion of Þ [th] with T recently in stalwart. Forth shares its origin with Latin portare "carry", origin of English porter and transport. It also developed into English fore, found in before, forefront, and forefather. (Hilde Jakobsen's affordance to our word-of-the-day series is obvious with this, her first recommendation of a Good Word.)
• The Good Dr. Goodword

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: Affordance

Postby LukeJavan8 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:02 pm

New one on me, but a good one.
-----please, draw me a sheep-----

Bazr
Junior Lexiterian

Postby Bazr » Sat Jul 19, 2014 3:52 am

When you are driving a 'left' arrow means 'go left', a 'right' arrow means 'go right'. Usually an 'up' arrow means 'go ahead', but a 'down' arrow doesn't mean 'go back'. Not that I've seen any of these on the road, unless they are pointing at a hole.
live in the moment

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby LukeJavan8 » Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:57 am

I wonder what graffiti artists would do with that one?
-----please, draw me a sheep-----

Return to “Good Word Discussion”