Blog

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Blog

Postby Dr. Goodword » Sat Sep 13, 2014 11:31 pm

• blog •

Pronunciation: blahg • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Noun

Meaning: An open journal or diary kept on a Web page maintained by a person or persons focusing on a particular topic or theme.

Notes: You may verbalize this word at will, and a person who blogs is a blogger. If you are a member of the blog community, you live in Blogistan or up in the Blogosphere. The randomly curious as well as blognoscenti themselves can find a preliminary glossary by clicking here.

In Play: The World Wide Web has become an encyclopedia of the world by the world; even Wikipedia is superfluous. With the blog, the door is open for it to become an encyclopedia of the world's opinions written by the minds holding those opinions: "My friend, the biologist Brooke Trout, writes a bog frog blog about the habits of amphibians in the swamp behind her house."

Word History: Today's good word is a weird clipping of the term weblog "a journal posted on the Web", which first appeared in 1999. Today this word is found in almost all English online dictionaries. As you can see in the Notes above, the word has already spawned a lexicon of its own. It was Merriam-Webster's Word of the Year in 2004. (We would like to thank Good Word editor Paul Ogden, and Eleanora Konwaler, a Good Word subscriber, for insisting that we run today's word.)
• The Good Dr. Goodword

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: Blog

Postby Perry Lassiter » Sun Sep 14, 2014 1:53 pm

Amazing how many words have sprung up from the computer revolution!
pl

David McWethy
Lexiterian

Postby David McWethy » Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:11 am

Dr. G. notes that "blog"
...was Merriam-Webster's Word of the Year in 2004....
which I will take as a given is correct, and join him in thanking Good Word editor Paul Ogden and subscriber Eleanora Konwaler for tossing it in the hat. More recently, according to Wikipedia,
The American Dialect Society voted "lifehack" (one word) as the runner-up for the "most useful word of 2005" behind podcast.

Splitting hairs between "Word of the Year" and "Most Useful Word" is simply quibbling over a distinction without a difference, though; they both reinforce the adage that
It's better to remain silent and have people wonder if you're truly that computer-illiterate, than to speak (or write) and remove all doubt.
"The time has come," the Walrus said, "to talk of many things...."

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:57 am

I think there is a difference between "Word of the Year" and "Most Useful Word". "Word of the Year" is, as I understand it, the word most often looked up at a dictionary's site, whereas "Most Useful Word" is voted on by a language site's users and those who run it.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Philip Hudson
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Philip Hudson » Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:30 am

I am drowning in a sea of obligations and things I actually want to do [my bucket list]. I need lessons in lifehacking. Quickly, before it all falls on top of me! :)
It is dark at night, but the Sun will come up and then we can see.

David McWethy
Lexiterian

Postby David McWethy » Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:41 pm

"I need lessons in lifehacking."--Philip Hudson

I live to serve: Become filthy rich so you can pay people to do distasteful things for you.

Alternatively, start with https://zapier.com/blog/productivity-blogs/.

One of them is a "Ridiculously Easy Trick"; the other is just ridiculous..

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry Lassiter » Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:03 pm

Following the link brought me not to two things to do, but a list of 12 blogs with about three lists apiece. Not sure that's what y ou meant,

OTOH, it's much more efficient no to get hooked into reading X points about Y, with links to Z, which contains more points!
pl

David McWethy
Lexiterian

Postby David McWethy » Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:12 am

I guess this is a response to Perry’s reaction to a reply I made to Philip—a twist I just noticed.

Due to the lack of any specificity that I could detect in Philip’s initial post (“I am drowning in a sea of obligations and things I actually want to do...”) I had to at least consider the possibility that it was written while his tongue was so far into his cheek as to render speech impossible.

But I truly wanted to be helpful. Philip’s phrase “I need lessons in lifehacking. Quickly, before it all falls on top of me!” described a situation I could relate to; at the same time was like nailing Jell-O to a tree as far as suggesting any kind of specific-to-him solution.

So I replied with a internet link that was of necessity a “Start Here” point, from which Philip—being the one most familiar with what kind/type/format/orientation of lifehacking lessons he needed—could start by “following the yellow brick road” and selecting from several possible sites the ones which appeared to him to have the greatest potential utility.

That approach seemed to me to have a better chance of success than him needing (for example) lifehacks about wasting less time by getting sidetracked and me—totally in the dark about what kind of likehacks he was looking for—suggesting (because they had worked so well for me) lifehacks on becoming a sole-source supplier for Wal-Mart.

Not all my great Ideas are good ones; at least my heart was in the right place. And there’s a REALLY good chance that this will be my last comment on this subject!

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry Lassiter » Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:14 pm

So, onto shoes and ships and sealing wax, of cabbages and kings! But no new king of Scotland!
pl

Return to “Good Word Discussion”