Turdiform

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Turdiform

Postby Dr. Goodword » Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:18 pm

• turdiform •

Pronunciation: têr-dê-form • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Adjective

Meaning: Shaped like a thrush; resembling a thrush.

Notes: If you would feel a little awkward using this funny word in conversations with your friends, there are two other variants with the same meaning, turdoid and turdine. All these adjectives can also mean "belonging to the family turdus", as do the song-thrush (Turdus musicus), Santa's favorite, the mistletoe thrush (Turdus viscivorus), and that harbinger of spring, the American robin (Turdus migratorius). If you are a true thrush-fancier, you will want to keep your thrushes in a specially constructed turdarium.

In Play: This is a Good Word with which to attract attention to yourself in discussions with bird-watchers: "I saw an interesting little turdiform flyer in my backyard yesterday, but it was green and pileated. Have you any idea what it might have been?" The many types of birds that resemble thrushes provide plenty of work for this word: "Do you happen to know the name of the lovely little turdiform creature sitting on the birdfeeder right now?"

Word History: This rather startling word comes from a Latin compound based on turdus "thrush" + forma "form". The root of turdus started out as trozdos "thrush", but in Latin the [r] and the vowel changed places by a process known as metathesis. Among the other Indo-European languages these two sounds held their original positions to produce English thrush, Russian drozd "thrush", and German Drossel "thrush", with the diminutive suffix -el .
• The Good Dr. Goodword

George Kovac

Re: Turdiform

Postby George Kovac » Fri Oct 03, 2014 9:41 am

Yes, turdiform does sound like the kind of inappropriate word word you might blurt out if you were crapulent.

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby LukeJavan8 » Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:38 pm

I'll piggyback on that. :D
-----please, draw me a sheep-----

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Fri Oct 03, 2014 5:36 pm

Yes, turdiform does sound like the kind of inappropriate word word you might blurt out if you were crapulent.
Neither turdiform nor crapulent passed my spell-check, so I had to add them to the dictionary. However, be careful not to overuse them, as you might get dumped on as a nerd.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby LukeJavan8 » Sat Oct 04, 2014 12:05 pm

:lol:
-----please, draw me a sheep-----

Philip Hudson
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Philip Hudson » Thu Oct 09, 2014 5:42 pm

I :lol: with Luke.
It is dark at night, but the Sun will come up and then we can see.

Return to “Good Word Discussion”