Serry

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Serry

Postby Dr. Goodword » Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:06 am

• serry •

Pronunciation: se-ri • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Verb

Meaning: To stand or press close together, to close ranks, to tighten ranks or rows.

Notes: Here is another word in need of recovery. According to most English dictionaries it has already slipped over the edge into oblivion, leaving only its past participle, serried "arranged (lined up) close together", alive and well in the English vocabulary.

In Play: We still need this ancient verb: imagine taking a photograph of a group too large for the camera's field of view. You want everyone to move closer together, so you simply say: "Would you all please serry a bit more?" The past participle of today's word is called to duty most often, though: "As he boarded the plane, Llewellyn's dread of the serried seats that jammed his knees up under his chin grew ominously." Without today's Good Word, both these situations require phrases.

Word History: English probably took this word from French serre "lock", something that grasps, from Old French serrer "to grasp". French inherited this word from its mother, Vulgar (street) Latin's serrare from Late Latin serare "to bolt". This verb is built upon sera "bar, bolt", which must be aligned to work. The sense of alignment is critical since Latin inherited this word (sers) from ser- "to align, line up", also visible in series, insert and desert. The latter comes from Latin deserere "to abandon" from de- "not, un-" + serere "to join". (Let's all serry up and thank Dr. Margie Sved for discovering and recommending today's Good Word just in the nick of time.)
• The Good Dr. Goodword

call_copse
Senior Lexiterian

Re: Serry

Postby call_copse » Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:56 am

For the photo scenario my inclination would be to go for 'Would you all please serry up a bit?' instead of the quoted sentence - would that be correct?
Iain

misterdoe
Senior Lexiterian

Postby misterdoe » Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:10 am

Is serrated, as in the serrated edge of a knife, related to serry?

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby LukeJavan8 » Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:32 am

For the photo scenario my inclination would be to go for 'Would you all please serry up a bit?' instead of the quoted sentence - would that be correct?
Especially if accompanied by hand gestures
indicating squeeze together the word might be better
understood by those who don't know the word.
-----please, draw me a sheep-----

Philip Hudson
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Philip Hudson » Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:48 pm

As an Agoran with agoraphobia [seems self contradictory but isn't], I had fain not be serried.
It is dark at night, but the Sun will come up and then we can see.

Louis610
Junior Lexiterian

Postby Louis610 » Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:19 pm

As I read the definition, it seemed natural to express it as 'serry up', not just 'serry'. Then you used that construction in the Word History ("Let's all serry up...")

Why didn't you say "Let's all serry and thank Dr. Margie Sved"?
Does 'up' help make it sound like an action? Is it because we say 'hurry up'?
In 'In Play', you use 'serry' alone, no helper preposition.
Thanks for another useful unusual word.

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby LukeJavan8 » Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:25 pm

Welcome.
-----please, draw me a sheep-----

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:26 pm

As an Agoran with agoraphobia [seems self contradictory but isn't], I had fain not be serried.
Wouldn't that be the other way around? :?:
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Philip Hudson
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Philip Hudson » Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:47 am

Slava,
I am not sure what you mean by "the other way around". Would you rephrase my post to show me?

Philip Hudson
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Philip Hudson » Wed Oct 15, 2014 1:00 am

Louis610, Welcome to the Agora. Post often.

Up is a great verb completer. "Serry up!" is similar to, "Gather around," or "Gang up." Many verbs are completed by up. I maintain that the words up and its cousins are not adequately named as prepositions. Preposition simply means "to put in front of". These wonderful little words have more moment than that.

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:03 am

Slava,
I am not sure what you mean by "the other way around". Would you rephrase my post to show me?
As an agoraphobe doesn't like open spaces, wouldn't one prefer to serry up, rather than stand far apart?
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry Lassiter » Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:03 pm

Please see my recent post on UP and the Doc's comments,

If a photographer serried a group within an old carriage, could that also be a serry with a fringe on top?
pl

Philip Hudson
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Philip Hudson » Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:47 pm

Slava, Open space phobia and agoraphobia are not the same. An agora is a gathering place of many people, not an open space. if I am in a structured place where I feel sure what will happen next I have no anxiety. Thus I am comfortable in a church or at the opera. I wouldn't go to the Texas State Fair for all the tea in China. Some agoraphobics, such as Emily Dickenson was, are afraid to venture out from home. Others just can't tolerate milling crowds.

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:17 am

Courtesy etymonline.com:
"fear of open spaces," 1873, from German Agorophobie, coined 1871 by Berlin psychiatrist Carl Westphal (1833-1890) from Greek agora "open space"
The agora was the wide open space were many people could fit, but it was still open space.

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:30 pm

Revisiting the query on serrated and any relation to serry, it appears there is none. Somewhat similar looking roots, but with very different meanings.

Return to “Good Word Discussion”