Druther

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Druther

Postby Dr. Goodword » Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:46 pm

• druther •

Pronunciation: drê-dhêr • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Noun

Meaning: (Slang) Choice, preference.

Notes: Today's word is a whimsical bit of local color that has spread across the US. It is generally used in the plural, almost exclusively in the set phrase, "If I had my druthers . . ." meaning, "If I had a choice in the matter." There is some question of whether this is a real English word or just a nonce word, a word used for a short period of time for a particular reason only to vanish as quickly and as mysteriously as it arose.

In Play: If the word really is in the language, we may as well use it like any other word: "Don't wish you didn't have to work here—you might get your druther." If you don't like that, stick with the plural: "When it comes to alternatives to this job, I have very few druthers." If you don't like either, the word hasn't become an established word for you, so don't use it. However you feel about it, this word is notably slangy and should be used only in very informal, chatty situations.

Word History: This word is a gift from the US South to the English-speaking public. It was clipped from the phrase '(I)'d rather' in a dialect of the southeastern United States, where rather is pronounced [rêdhêr] instead of [rædhêr]. Rather is a product of now defunct rathe "soon, early", so it originally followed the pattern of "I'd sooner . . .", which also introduced a preference of the speaker. No one knows where rathe came from. We find traces of it in other Germanic languages, but not in any language outside Germanic. (Paul Levinson got his druther today when he suggested we circulate this funny little Good Word rather than any other we might choose.)
• The Good Dr. Goodword

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: Druther

Postby LukeJavan8 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:47 pm

My mother used to use it: "if I had my druthers...". So its
been around over half a century in this neck of the woods.
And she had to have picked it up somewhere.
-----please, draw me a sheep-----

bailey66
Junior Lexiterian

Postby bailey66 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:55 pm

This reminds me of one of my daughter's words "nother" she's 45 now and still uses it.

M. Portmanteau Bailey
In repentance and rest is your salvation, in quietness and trust is your strength, Isa30:15

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby LukeJavan8 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 1:32 pm

you bet!
I still catch myself saying a childhood no-no: "unelse"
for unless. Have no idea where I picked it up.

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry Lassiter » Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:35 pm

First I heard unelse, but I kinda like it. I may give it a test drive or two.
pl

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby LukeJavan8 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:47 pm

Not unelse you want some double-takes from people.

misterdoe
Senior Lexiterian

Postby misterdoe » Fri Aug 19, 2016 4:27 pm

I've never heard unelse, but I've heard less'n. You have to catch the context to know the speaker's not saying lesson. :?

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry Lassiter » Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:10 pm

With two boys sharing a room, our second house had a third bedroom that at one point became a junk room. We didn't know how to label it, so we referred to it as another room or the other room, which got melded into the nother room.
pl

Philip Hudson
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Philip Hudson » Mon Aug 22, 2016 4:44 pm

I'm sorry I haven't weighed in on druther until now. It is, of course, ubiquitous here in the hinterlands. I fail to get my druthers in many cases. "She who must be obeyed" [Rumpole of the Old Bailey's favorite reference to his better half] frequently vetoes my druthers, often for "my own good." BTW my better half is not from the hinterlands but must sometimes reluctantly share them with me.
It is dark at night, but the Sun will come up and then we can see.

Return to “Good Word Discussion”