Sundry

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Sundry

Postby Dr. Goodword » Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:49 pm

• sundry •

Pronunciation: sên-dree • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Adjective

Meaning: 1. Several, more than a few. 2. Various, miscellaneous, diverse, not of the same kind.

Notes: This useful word may be used as a noun in the plural, sundries "miscellaneous items", often seen over dime stores in the past. For those unfamiliar with the dime store, they were also called 5-and-10 cent stores, stores where nothing cost more than 10 cents. The few that remain are called dollar stores today, offering fewer and fewer sundries as time teases prices higher.

In Play: This Good Word goes back to a root meaning "cut up", so it first referred to several different things: "Leticia, the reasons for leaving Phil Anders are far too sundry to enumerate in the course of a single day." It is used today, however, most often to refer to diverse, unrelated objects: "When Cedric's cigar ash ignited Reginald's tuxedo on the way to the cotillion, Cedric was sprayed with sundry epithets I cannot repeat in mixed company."

Word History: Today's Good Word is the adjective to a now defunct word, sunder "apart, separate". It only survives in asunder "apart, separate", which developed from the sundry phrases sunder occurred in: on sunder, in sunder, and so forth. Sunder also functioned as a verb meaning "to separate, to sever", as in 'a quarrel that sundered their relationship'. We find cognates throughout Germanic languages, including Dutch zonder "without", German sonderbar "special", absondern "to separate". But it goes back to Proto-Indo-European sen- "apart, separated, without", which shows up in Sanskrit sanutar "far away", Greek ater "without", Latin sine "without". (We thank William Hupy for recommending today's excellent Good Word and for the sundry ones that remain on our list.)
• The Good Dr. Goodword

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: Sundry

Postby Slava » Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:34 pm

I remember back in the day, when I worked at Friendly ice cream, I made a great many sundry sundaes. :)
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

William Hupy
Senior Lexiterian

Postby William Hupy » Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:07 am

Close but off by a mile. My surname is HUPY with an "H" not a "T". It is anglicized from the French Hupé. Please correct.
William A. Hupy

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby LukeJavan8 » Thu Dec 04, 2014 1:18 pm

Even before I saw your comment I knew it was you.
Don't know how I knew, perhaps just because I've
seen your name here, and there are so few of us,
it must have just been a slip of the keyboard. But
rest assured, I'm appreciative of the word, which
I still hear on occasion, so I don't think it is totally
defunct.
-----please, draw me a sheep-----

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry Lassiter » Thu Dec 04, 2014 4:21 pm

Repeating a remark I made on the Facebook post last night. Doc commented he bet those under 50 wouldn't get it...
In an old Pogo strip I remember, an exchange went like this:
Kindly ole Uncle Albert, loved and admired by all and sundry.
Sundry? Who's that?
Old time evangelist go by name of Billy.

Any of you under 50 get this? Or those over check it out with someone nearby younger?
pl

Return to “Good Word Discussion”