Elan

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Elan

Postby Dr. Goodword » Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:27 pm

• elan •

Pronunciation: ê-lænHear it!

Part of Speech: Noun, mass

Meaning: 1. Vigorous enthusiasm, passionate commitment to an undertaking, ardor, zeal. 2. Grace and flair, impressive style for some undertaking.

Notes: If you wish to add a bit of elan to your writing, put a cap on the E in this word, élan, and use the French pronunciation. The French spelling and pronunciation are more prevalent in the US while the adapted spelling (without the cap) is more widespread elsewhere in the English-speaking world. English didn't bring over any related words from French nor has it created any on its own since.

In Play: The French origin of this word lends an overtone of flair and stylishness to its basic meaning: "William Arami pursued Marian Tipe with such élan that two or three times she almost accepted his proposals." In fact, the overtone is fast becoming a separate meaning on its own: "Francesca lilted down the stairs in her new evening dress with the greatest of élan, then slipped on the carpet and delighted her guests even more with a splendiferous pratfall."

Word History: Today's Good Word comes from French élan, the noun from élancer "to rush, dart" from e- "out" + lancer "to throw a lance". The prefix é- is the French remnant of Latin ex "out (of)", and the root comes from Latin lanceare "to throw a lance, from lancea "lance". Lancea itself was probably borrowed by Latin from Celtic, but we don't know where Celtic got it, so the trail ends there. By the Middle English period, though, the English variant was spelled launce, which led to its becoming launch. No, Sir Lancelot was not named for his weapon. His name comes from the Old High Germanic word for "land", landzo, plus two old diminutive suffixes -el (still in use in southern Germany) and -ot.
• The Good Dr. Goodword

David Myer
Grand Panjandrum

Re: Elan

Postby David Myer » Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:04 am

Ahh, another French word adopted into English because the English have no understanding of style and so no word to match it. I have gradually collected over the years, a list of such words. It is astonishingly extensive. Here it is if anyone cares:
Elan, Suave, Chic, Gauche, Elegant, Debonair, Vogue, Mode, Bon vivant, Panache, Avant garde, Nouveau, Banal, Ennui, Blase, Nonchalant, Naive, Flamboyant, Demur, and one that was a Goodword recently, Coy. There are others that aren't quite as stylish, but could qualify in some people's minds: Chagrin, Niche, Nuance, Gourmand, Gourmet, Penchant.

No doubt there are others. Would be most interested to see others.

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby LukeJavan8 » Thu Feb 12, 2015 2:32 pm

Do you suppose it began with the Norman Invasion
of Britain?
-----please, draw me a sheep-----

David Myer
Grand Panjandrum

Postby David Myer » Thu Feb 12, 2015 5:48 pm

I guess it would have done. The French were the ruling class and courtiers, the English were peasants. What does a peasant need words like 'suave' for? Simply not in the vocabulary.

If everyone is gauche, then no-one is. Gauche is the norm and so not to be sneered at from within.

I wonder if 'style' itself is also French? I'll look it up now.

misterdoe
Senior Lexiterian

Postby misterdoe » Thu Feb 12, 2015 6:20 pm

Élan and David Myer's use of flamboyant in this context makes me think of something I hear occasionally on the radio here in New York. The radio program A Prairie Home Companion, when performing live in New York, from time to time features opera singer Renee Fleming playing a flamboyant caricature of herself, Renata Flambé.

David Myer
Grand Panjandrum

Postby David Myer » Thu Feb 12, 2015 6:58 pm

And what a good show that Prairie Home Companion is. We even enjoy it in Australia from time to time.

And of course 'Style' is Middle English (1066 - 14??) from the Old French. They would have needed the word for the first time when the French arrived.

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry Lassiter » Fri Feb 13, 2015 9:23 pm

David's reference to style tilts the definition of elan in the right direction. I don't remember hearing the word used in Doc's first definition. Elan is highbrow to me. It conveys the idea of doing something with not only skill, but carrying it off with flair.
pl

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby LukeJavan8 » Sat Feb 14, 2015 12:55 pm

There is a very 'highbrow' womens' clothing store here
which calls itself Elan. So your conjecture is seen that
way by others.

David Myer
Grand Panjandrum

Postby David Myer » Sun Feb 15, 2015 1:31 am

Not 'High brow', surely. Haute couture!

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby LukeJavan8 » Sun Feb 15, 2015 12:44 pm

Probably, but this is redneck land,heh,heh.

call_copse
Senior Lexiterian

Postby call_copse » Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:14 pm

Perhaps it's because I'm a Brit but I think of these:
Iain

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry Lassiter » Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:42 pm

Maybeso, but I remember a guy in college who had the 50's equivalent. He was about a six foot eight beanpole, so when he leveraged himself out of that top down convertible, he dwarfed the vehicle. Hilarious. You wondered how he could coil himself up in there.
pl

Return to “Good Word Discussion”