Skepticism

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Skepticism

Postby Dr. Goodword » Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:42 pm

• skepticism •

Pronunciation: skep-tê-si-zêm • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Noun, mass (no plural)

Meaning: 1. Doubt, disbelief, the inclination to suspect the truth of something. 2. A philosophy beginning with Pyrrho of Elis, who fought dogmatism by showing reasons for doubting it. Today it is the position that absolute knowledge is impossible, and that science can succeed only with relative certainty.

Notes: Although the stem of today's word, skeptic, may be a noun or adjective, most careful speakers reserve skeptical for adjectival duty. As for spelling, seldom is the speaker of English allowed the option of using the spelling of either language from which we borrow words. However, in addition to the Greek spelling above, you may also use the Latin spelling, scepticism. US editors tend to prefer the K, while British editors are more comfortable with the C.

In Play: Skepticism is a necessary part of a healthy attitude so long as it does not sour into cynicism: "Granville, I take it you view my plan for increasing company profits while establishing permanent world peace with some skepticism." It is often behind the practice of betting, "If you would place a financial value on your skepticism that I can win the marathon—say $50—it would take on a much more interesting character."

Word History: Today's word is the abstract noun from skeptic/sceptic, borrowed from both Latin scepticus "skeptic" and from its source, Greek skeptikos "skeptic" from skeptesthai "to examine closely". This word comes from a fascinating root, PIE spek-/spok- "look, see", which we see in spectator, inspect, and, my personal favorite, spice. Yes, spice, the French version of Latin species, which originally meant "kind, type", but later came to mean "wares" and finally "spice". The other fascinating aspect of this root is that the P and K traded places in Greek (metathesis), where we find skopein "to see", visible in our words telescope, microscope, and the new (slang) verb to scope out. (Today we are grateful to M. Henri Day, a trader in our Alpha Agora, for seeing the potential in today's Good Word.)
• The Good Dr. Goodword

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: Skepticism

Postby Perry Lassiter » Sun Feb 22, 2015 4:30 pm

In the heyday of Greek philosophy the skeptics had a great run by questioning everything unendingly. Remember in jr high, when you discovered the one word "why" could drive someone crazy by repeating it after every answer? It's just one step away from saying there can be no answers, at least definitively.

Then there is the psychological use, generally it refers to a specific inquiry as Doc points out above. "I am skeptical that the new coach can turn this team around.
pl

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby LukeJavan8 » Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:58 pm

An article today in our local rag says we should be
encouraging kids to ask 'why' more often: increases
brainpower, encourages them to think on their own.
I don't think, however, they can take time away
from their selfies and phones long enough to do that.
-----please, draw me a sheep-----

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry Lassiter » Tue Feb 24, 2015 4:14 pm

Why not?
pl

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby LukeJavan8 » Tue Feb 24, 2015 4:54 pm

You skeptic.

misterdoe
Senior Lexiterian

Postby misterdoe » Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:21 am

A few years back I stumbled across a site highlighting differences between British and American English, eventually resulting in a book titled The Sceptic's Companion. I recall thinking the author might have attracted more interest from Americans, especially those familiar with Erma Bombeck, with the title One Flew Over the Sceptic Tank. :)

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby LukeJavan8 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:26 pm

Ah, Bombeck: "Never visit a doctor whose office plants
have all died". (to quote her).

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry Lassiter » Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:30 am

Misterdoe you have my permission to buy yrself an award of yr choosing! One of the best/worst puns I've encountered! Thank you.
pl

Return to “Good Word Discussion”