Epigone

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Epigone

Postby Dr. Goodword » Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:02 pm

• epigone •

Pronunciation: e-pê-gon • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Noun

Meaning: 1. A follower of a distinguished artist or philosopher. 2. A second-rate imitator.

Notes: Today's Good Word has a synonym without the final E: epigon. This word has a possible plural epigoni, but epigons is also acceptable. Today's word, epigone, has but one plural, epigones, though it comes with an adjective, epigonic, and an abstract qualitative noun, epigonism.

In Play: Today's Good Word has a neutral meaning, just a follower: "Keynesian epigone Paul Samuelson achieved higher recognition than Keynes himself." It also has the negative sense of a cheap imitator: "Rhoda Book is just an etiolate epigone of Danielle Steel."

Word History: English picked this word up from French épigone, which got it from Greek epigonos "born after", composed of epi "on, near, after" + gonos "child, seed". Gonos comes from a PIE root, gen-/gon- "beget, give birth", which begat a plethora of words across Indo-European languages. They include many Latin words that English borrowed, including gender, generate and genus. It came though Old German directly to English as kin, kind and king. It turns up in German as Kind "child", which English borrowed in kindergarten. Many, many more words flowed from gen-/gon-. (Today's Good Word has been suggested by Susan of Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, right down the road from alphaDictionary.)
• The Good Dr. Goodword

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: Epigone

Postby Slava » Mon Jul 17, 2023 6:28 am

I have a particularly difficult time remembering how to pronounce this one, let alone its meaning. I get caught up in 'e-PI-go-ne' and 'E-pi-gōn'. And, with its pronunciation, I go off on a tangent and think of 'e-pi-went', to boot. GAAH! :wink:
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Debbymoge
Lexiterian

Re: Epigone

Postby Debbymoge » Tue Jul 18, 2023 11:38 am

Slava,
wheah Epi gone TO?
I am but mad north-north-west. When the wind is southerly, I know a hawk from a handsaw.
Shakespear

Return to “Good Word Discussion”