Exhume

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Exhume

Postby Dr. Goodword » Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:35 pm

• exhume •

Pronunciation: eg-zyum, ik-sumHear it!

Part of Speech: Verb, transitive

Meaning: 1. Remove a body from its grave. 2. To bring to light or broach a subject after a long period of obscurity; to resurrect.

Notes: Today's Good Word is used mostly by policemen and medical examiners who are investigating, in light of new evidence, the death of someone already buried. In doing so, they have two noun forms that they may use, the activity noun, exhumation, and the personal noun, exhumer.

In Play: Unless you are an investigator, district attorney, or medical examiner, you will probably use this word to refer to things long forgotten: "Why would anyone want to exhume the idea of bomb shelters in this day and age?" (Well, I can think of at least one reason.) Of course, you may exhume people out of stuff other than soil: "Of all the people who could have headed the board, why did they have to exhume the past president out of retirement."

Word History: Today's Good Word first appeared in print in 1783. It was taken from French, which inherited it from Latin exhumare, made up of ex "out of" + humus "earth". I'm sure you immediately noticed that English also took humus wholesale from Latin and currently uses it to refer to homemade fertilizer. The root here, hum-, seems to have originally referred to earth or dirt, but also turns up in humanus "human, kind". This suggests that our earliest forefathers perceived humans as originating in the soil. I may have mentioned this before, but the same word gave Old English its word for "man", guma, which went into brydguma "suitor". When guma was replaced by man in English, brydguma underwent folk etymology, becoming bridegroom, even though a groom is a stable boy.
• The Good Dr. Goodword

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: Exhume

Postby LukeJavan8 » Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:16 pm

And chick pea: Hummus?
-----please, draw me a sheep-----

Pattie
Junior Lexiterian

Re: Exhume

Postby Pattie » Sun Mar 01, 2015 1:46 am

And let's not forget inhume, a word I've seen used only in the context of archaeology but which deserves a wider application:
"Will Mort's send-off be cremation or inhumation?" or
"I'm not one to inhume my light under a bushel".
PattieT

Return to “Good Word Discussion”