Lickspittle

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Lickspittle

Postby Dr. Goodword » Sun Mar 08, 2015 12:44 am

• lickspittle •

Pronunciation: lik-spit-êl • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Noun

Meaning: A fawning toady, a sycophant, a bootlick, a yes-man.

Notes: Here is a synonym of toady that takes a little longer to pronounce, but is much more of an attention-grabber. For those of you whose imaginations and stomachs find this word difficult, toady is always there. If you like to be noticed, though, this word will work better for you.

In Play: Lickspittles are found high and low: "The corporate lickspittles in Washington often introduce in Congress bills written by lobbyists." They also turn up at home, in the workplace, and all around the neighborhood: "The president's idea of putting a solar powered flashlight into production ASAP was supported by all the lickspittles in upper management, so we are going to do it."

Word History: This rather repulsive word is a combination of the verb lick and the noun spittle, derived from the verb spit. The word refers to someone who so fawns over you that they are willing to lick up your spit. (Excuse me, but it's true.) Both are veteran English words, unborrowed and untainted by outside influence. Lick is a variant of a Proto-Indo-European stem that turns up in most Indo-European languages in the expected local form: Latin lingere, Greek leikhein, and Russian lizat'—all meaning "lick". Lick may be of imitative origin. Hebrew likek and Arabic laqqa "licked" are historically unrelated to the English word, though they sound suspiciously similar. The best explanation is that all these words are onomatopoetic sound imitations.
• The Good Dr. Goodword

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: Lickspittle

Postby Slava » Fri May 15, 2015 12:18 am

A Russian lickspittle would be called a "plate-licker." What other ways do the languages other Agorans know have to express this?
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby LukeJavan8 » Fri May 15, 2015 12:03 pm

Brown-noser. Arse-kisser. Teacher's pet.
-----please, draw me a sheep-----

call_copse
Senior Lexiterian

Postby call_copse » Mon May 18, 2015 6:33 am

I think 'creep' would be amongst the most general expressions for such used over here. The rest that have been mentioned are also familiar.
Iain

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby LukeJavan8 » Mon May 18, 2015 11:35 am

"creep' is good.
-----please, draw me a sheep-----

Return to “Good Word Discussion”