Jazz

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Jazz

Postby Dr. Goodword » Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:55 am

• jazz •

Pronunciation: jæz • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Noun

Meaning: 1. A genre of popular music characterized by syncopation, improvisation, and a forceful rhythm. It emerged in the early 20th century in New Orleans from ragtime, developing into several styles: the blues, Dixieland, swing, smooth jazz, fusion, etc. 2. Energy, animation, excitement, fire. 3. Crap, nonsense, malarkey as in 'all that jazz'.
Notes: This word comes with an adjective, jazzy "colorful, exciting", which provides its own noun, jazziness. You can jazz something up by making it more colorful or exciting.

In Play: Jazz is still very much alive, though not as universally popular in the US as it once was: "The jazz trumpet, saxophone, and trombone were replaced by the guitar and bass in the 60s." The figurative sense of the noun is reflected in the verb: "Hans Orf jazzed up his room with phosphorescent posters of poltergeists illuminated by black light."

Word History: Despite endless efforts, the origin of today's Good Word has eluded detection. It is certainly an American contribution just like the music it refers to. Apparently the music antedated the name by quite a few years. Whether the term originated in New Orleans has been contested by claims that it first emerged in Chicago or San Francisco. It has been suggested that it is a shortening of jezebel, in accord with its original reputation. Another suggestion is that it is a variation of jasm "energy, spirit, pep", a college slang word of the late 19th and early 20th century. Wherever it originated, it cannot be traced back to any African language. (The suggestion for today's Good Word came from Albert Skiles—and that's no jazz!)
• The Good Dr. Goodword

Philip Hudson
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: Jazz

Postby Philip Hudson » Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:17 pm

I have always understood that jazz, for all its great musical value [and I am a fan], came from a slang word for copulation. I see it come full circle in songs about jelly roll blues that certainly refers to copulation. No, I am not a dirty old man. I am too old for that.
It is dark at night, but the Sun will come up and then we can see.

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry Lassiter » Sat Mar 28, 2015 5:01 pm

I think that many words surpass their etymological evolution and develop their own meanings from all the connotations. As an afficionado, I can tell you there are numerous forms out there, and all of them are freighted in that one word.

"All that jazz" is not necessarily a put-down. To me it means et cetera, I don't want to keep enumerating all that comes to mind.
pl

Philip Hudson
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Philip Hudson » Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:08 am

Perry, you are wise beyond your years [and I know how old you are]. The origin of a word does not restrict it from taking on further meaning. And, yes, "All that Jazz," does mean "etc." in its own inimitable way.

Here's to jazz and all its derivations! Here's to Preservation Hall for keeping to its original pure form. And here's to "Sweet Emma" Barrett, the greatest Jazz pianist of them all.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AsoHicgOME
I was privileged to hear her, but only one time.
It is dark at night, but the Sun will come up and then we can see.

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry Lassiter » Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:23 pm

As her successor, try Dr John, especially when he's not singing and focused on the keyboard.
pl

bnjtokyo
Lexiterian

Postby bnjtokyo » Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:28 am

In the Goodword Dictionary, the "In Play" and "Word History" sections have material that relates to "piquant," not "jazz." I quote
the In Play section:

In Play: First, an example with the literal meaning of the word: "I didn't realize just how piquant Madeleine's salad dressing was until I arrived home and tried to get to sleep." It may also be used metaphorically: meaning No. 2 above: "I am made aware of just how much I miss the piquant voice of Earth Kitt every time I hear "C'est si bon" sung by someone else."

According to the dates in the Goodword Dictionary, "Jazz" appeared on 3/26/15 and "Piquant" appeared most recently on 3/27/15. Could it be an error occurred when "piquant" was added the second time?

Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Postby Dr. Goodword » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:44 pm

Fixed. Thanks for the tip.
• The Good Dr. Goodword

Return to “Good Word Discussion”