TENEMENT

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

TENEMENT

Postby Dr. Goodword » Wed Mar 02, 2005 9:54 pm

• tenement •

Pronunciation: te-nê-mênt

Part of Speech: Noun

Meanings: 1. A multifamily housing unit with tenants, an apartment building. 2. A rundown apartment building run by a slum landlord. 3. (British) A room or apartment rented out.

Notes: Today's word comes from Late Latin and thus had little chance to produce a family. If you look long and far enough, you will find a rarely used adjective, tenemental, which suggests an adverb, tenementally, and a noun, tenementality, but I know of no one brave enough to use either in mixed or unmixed company. (I guess that leaves it up to me; see the next section.)

In Play: In the US, today's good word is often used in the plural to refer to an impoverished but intricate style of life: "Amanda Lynn lifted herself out of the tenements playing a stringed instrument." Now let's see what we can do with the implied derivations mentioned in the Notes: "Living in the tenements, Amanda had developed a tenementality about working together closely with other people." You might say that she left New York for tenemental reasons. Oh, stop groaning.

Word History: Tenement entered Middle English meaning simply "house", as did the original Medieval Latin tenementum. This word is based on tenere "to hold", whose root derives from a PIE root that is ubiquitous throughout Indo-European languages: *ten- "to stretch". As, of course, you know, PIE [t] converted to [th] in Germanic languages like English, so it came to us as thin, the way things get when stretched. In Latin the [t] didn't change, so "thin" in Latin is tenuis, the source of our tenuous. (Our gratitude for sharing this word goes out today to Walter Hershman, who, we can say without stretching the truth thin, holds a healthy interest in the history of New York City.)
• The Good Dr. Goodword

tcward
Wordmaster

Postby tcward » Wed Mar 02, 2005 11:14 pm

Of course, as a music major, the first ten- word I thought of was tenor. (Wagner fans probably associate this more specifically with the heldentenor.) Another musical word derived from PIE ten- is tone. But I was surprised to see that sitar (from Persian tar, string) and tantra (from Sanskrit tantrum, loom) are also related.

If I was a doctor, on the other hand, I might first think of tendon. You might be surprised to see that tetanus and catatonic are also derived from this PIE root.

For the complete list, click here.

-Tim

Return to “Good Word Discussion”