Aloof

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Aloof

Postby Dr. Goodword » Thu May 21, 2015 10:15 pm

• aloof •

Pronunciation: ê-lufHear it!

Part of Speech: Adjective

Meaning: Disengaged, distant, detached, remote, indifferent.

Notes: Since today's Good Word begins with an A, it is often misperceived as what I call a "defective adjective", like aboard, aground, and afoot. These adjectives can only appear in predicate position, never before a noun. You can't say 'the aboard passenger' or 'the aground ship'. You can say 'an aloof attitude', however, so aloof appears to be a regular adjective that we seldom hear before nouns. The adverb is aloofly and the noun, aloofness.

In Play: Political candidates must consume calorie bombs when campaigning, lest they seem too aloof from voters: "Martha Shipley seems aloof from her constituency and disinterested in their problems." Cats can be more aloof than dogs: "Cat Baloo became aloof and distant when asked about the whereabouts of her husband, leading many to surmise that they had parted company."

Word History: This word is made up of a- + Middle English loof "windward direction", probably from Dutch maritime vocabulary te loef "to windward". The word might have been influenced by Middle French au louf du vent "to the windward side", which reduced to an interjection olof!, used to turn a ship towards the wind. The original use in nautical language referred to a technique of keeping a ship clear of the lee (windless) shore of an island. This sense developed into the more general English senses of keeping physical and emotional distance from something. English also has a word luff in the sense of "the windward side of a ship", though rarely used these days for obvious reasons. (Our far from aloof South African friend of many years, Chris Stewart, recommended today's fascinating Good Word.)
• The Good Dr. Goodword

George Kovac

Re: Aloof

Postby George Kovac » Fri May 22, 2015 9:27 am

What a fascinating etymological journey from "aloof" to "luff."

As to the "defective adjective" phenomenon, well, when I was a kid, I loved the Bazooka Joe comics that came with the bubble gum. Horrendously wonderful jokes in two to four panels, many of which stick with me all these decades later. Two examples, one of which continues today's nautical theme:

Q: When is a sailor not a sailor? A: When he's ashore.

Q: When is a door not a door? A: When it's ajar.

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Sat May 23, 2015 4:33 pm

Oh no, bubble gum jokes that stick with you! Egad! I'm even somehow under the impression this wasn't even intended.

Don't forget, be aloof. America needs more loofs.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry Lassiter » Sat May 23, 2015 8:51 pm

I shall be a lert for loofs...
pl

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Sat May 23, 2015 9:16 pm

Beware of becoming a pocryphal. They cry wolf a lot.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby LukeJavan8 » Sun May 24, 2015 11:41 am

Egads. Shades of bubble gum appear.
-----please, draw me a sheep-----

Return to “Good Word Discussion”