Proselytize

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Proselytize

Postby Dr. Goodword » Fri May 22, 2015 9:38 pm

• proselytize •

Pronunciation: prah-sê-lê-taiz • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Verb

Meaning: To convert to your way of thinking, cause, or religion; to make a proselyte or convert.

Notes: Today's Good Word is a verb built from the noun proselyte "convert" by adding the suffix -ize. The action noun from today's verb is created by adding the suffix -m, proselytism. A person who proselytizes is either a proselytizer or simply a proselytist. Did you follow all that? A proselytizer proselytizes proselytes. Of course, outside the US, the spelling is usually proselytise for the verb and proselytiser for the personal noun.

In Play: In the US, Mormons are most widely known for door-to-door proselytizing, but all missionaries proselytize: "Chuck Roste's church sent him to New Guinea to proselytize the natives there, but he never returned." Of course, proselytes need not be religious converts: "Luke Warme has been proselytizing for his free downtown parking plan for years now, but has converted few to his way of thinking."

Word History: Today's Good Word comes from Greek proselytos "stranger, proselyte (someone who comes to a place)", a word comprising pros "to, toward" + elyth-, a variant of the verb erkhesthai "to come". The origin of erkhesthai is a mystery, but we do find pros in a few other words like prosody "the theory of verse and poetry", which comes from pros + ode "song". (Today we are once again grateful to Mark Bailey for sharing his vocabulary with us here and in the Alpha Agora through his suggestions of excellent Good Words like this one.)
• The Good Dr. Goodword

Philip Hudson
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: Proselytize

Postby Philip Hudson » Sat May 23, 2015 12:01 pm

This word seems to have a pejorative ring. It shouldn't. In a free society, one has to bear some burdens in order to be free. Welcome the Mormon or Jehovah's Witness visitor to your door. It is the price of freedom. I know it is not customary to make or invite cold-calls in some countries. In the USA one can put a sign on her/his door to say cold-callers are not welcome.

In whatever setting proselytizing is practiced in your locality, bear up under it. For the Christian it is like going the second mile. I had a lovely encounter with some Jehovah's Witness proselytizers a few days ago. I sometimes counter-proselytize the proselytizers, but always in the kindest manner. "A soft answer turneth away wrath." Prov. 15:1 KJV.
It is dark at night, but the Sun will come up and then we can see.

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry Lassiter » Sat May 23, 2015 8:41 pm

All of my life I have heard prosylitize as referring to attempts to lead a person from one denomination or churcho another. Conversion is reserved for moving an unbeliever to the status of believer. To proselytize is if I as a Baptist would try to convince a Methodist to change denominations or to attract another Baptist from his or her church to mine. I would never say, were I to win one of the Waco bikers to faith, that I prosylitized him. Rather I won him to faith. Proselytize does have to me a perjorative sense, as I have no business fishing in another's pond.
pl

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Sat May 23, 2015 9:06 pm

I, too, have a rather low opinion of proselytizing. It seems to me that the proselytizer considers my beliefs wrong. I may welcome them to my door, but I won't invite them in.

As long as proselytizing is in the religious/belief sense, that is. Advocating something along the lines of recycle/reuse/reduce is an entirely different aspect of proselytizing.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Philip Hudson
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Philip Hudson » Sun May 24, 2015 4:17 pm

Slava, Perry,
My point exactly. Proselytize has been given a pejorative meaning which it shouldn't have. As you know Perry, used among Christian denominations it had been defined as "sheep stealing" and is used in a humorous way. The newer Bible translations use the word convert instead of proselyte [noun] and proselytize [verb].
I would like to redeem the word and make it mean what it meant in the past. It is a lost cause. Get careless with a word and it is ruined for all practical use.
It is dark at night, but the Sun will come up and then we can see.

Return to “Good Word Discussion”