Canada

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Canada

Postby Dr. Goodword » Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:37 pm

• Canada •

Pronunciation: kæn-ê-dê • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Proper noun

Meaning: The name of the geographically second largest country on Earth, located to the north of the United States.

Notes: Anything related to Canada is Canadian, including its inhabitants, who are Canadians. The capital of Canada is Ottawa, with its most beautiful parliament building standing on Parliament Hill overlooking the Ottawa River. Its largest city is Toronto. Its most famous goose is the Canada—NOT Canadian—goose. Today is Canada Day in that country and we would like to wish all our Canadian readers the happiest of holidays.
In Play: The United States' longest border is with its friendliest and more progressive neighbor, Canada. I know from personal experience that Niagara Falls are best viewed from the Canadian side, and the Canadian Rockies are best enjoyed from the Canadian Pacific Railway, which runs the breadth of the country.

Word History: Although Canada is the name of the second-largest country in the world, the word has much humbler origins. It is based on the St. Lawrence Iroquoian word kanata "village, settlement". In 1535, Iroquoians of the present-day Quebec City region used the word to direct French explorer Jacques Cartier to the nearby village of Stadacona. Cartier began using the word to refer not only to that village, but to the entire area subject to the chief of Stadacona. By the 18th century Canada referred to all of New France, which extended from the St. Lawrence River to the Great Lakes. Canada was adopted as the legal name for the new country upon Confederation in 1867, and its status was defined as Dominion. However, as Canada asserted its political autonomy from the United Kingdom, the federal government increasingly used only Canada on state documents. This shift was reflected in the renaming of the national holiday from Dominion Day to Canada Day in 1982.
• The Good Dr. Goodword

call_copse
Senior Lexiterian

Re: Canada

Postby call_copse » Wed Jul 01, 2015 6:41 am

This song, that evokes some idea of Canada fairly perfectly, is currently popular with my children:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Land_of_the_Silver_Birch

They are particularly entertained by being played different versions of it - there are a wide range from hippy style, to kids choral, singalong and even a 'death metal' version by Monolith especially for Canada Day 2013:
https://soundcloud.com/monolith2012/lan ... lver-birch

For some reason this provokes much hilarity and mirth.
Iain

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby LukeJavan8 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:29 pm

HAPPY CANADA DAY!
-----please, draw me a sheep-----

misterdoe
Senior Lexiterian

Postby misterdoe » Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:09 pm

For some reason this provokes much hilarity and mirth.
I was about to suggest "mirth" for a future WoTD but I see it's been covered pretty well in the article for "merry," a previous WoTD. :)

gwray
Lexiterian

Postby gwray » Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:28 am

I read somewhere that the origin of the name Canada was in some doubt and, while the Iriquoian "village" was considered the most likely, suggested some alternatives. The (probably apocryphal) story that I remember suggested that Spanish explorers seeing a wilderness wasteland exclaimed "Aqu nada" - There is nothing here, nothing!
A word fitly spoken is like apples of gold in settings of silver Proverbs 25:11

Return to “Good Word Discussion”