Soccer

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
sardith
Lexiterian

Soccer

Postby sardith » Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:22 am

I thought that this article was interesting, so I've decided to share it with all of you:

http://blog.dictionary.com/why-is-it-called-soccer/

I'm aware of the excellent article Dr. Goodword contributed on this subject, but this Dictionary.com article is a little different.

Susan
:mrgreen:
“The difference between the right word and the almost right word is the difference between lightning and a lightning bug.”
~Mark Twain, [pen name for Samuel Clemens], American author and humorist, (1835-1910)~

call_copse
Senior Lexiterian

Re: Soccer

Postby call_copse » Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:33 am

Ahhh, always a potentially contentious topic, handled with some aplomb. I'm still disappointed our ladies are not facing the USA's in the World Cup final.

I'm guessing the handegg season has not yet started over there yet?
Iain

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: Soccer

Postby Perry Lassiter » Mon Jul 06, 2015 3:26 pm

Just to complicate matters, I have a grandson who plays rugby.I think rugby is a cross between soccer and American football. The story I heard was that one day in a rugby game a player threw the ball, and a new game was begun. The neat thing about American football is the pause between plays. It inserts bureaucracy. Between the coach and the committee of players the next tactic is decided, i.e. The next play is called.and the committee of players the next tactic is decided,
pl

Return to “Good Word Discussion”