Cronyism

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Cronyism

Postby Dr. Goodword » Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:20 pm

• cronyism •

Pronunciation: kro-ni-iz-êm • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Noun, mass (no plural)

Meaning: Favoritism in hiring shown to friends without consideration of their qualifications.

Notes: We recently explored nepotism, favored treatment to relatives in hiring, which led Paul Ogden to think we should spread our net to other types of favoritism. Despite its wide usage, cronyism is a lexical orphan. No one has ventured the courage thus far to try even cronyist, so you won't find this word in any dictionary.

In Play: Cronyism is particularly noticeable at the highest levels of corporations: "The exorbitantly high salaries of corporate executives in the US are the result of rampant cronyism among boards and salary committees." But let's not leave out politics: "Cronyism in Washington shows up in the high percentage of senators and congressmen who become lobbyists when they retire."

Word History: Today's Good Word, of course, comes from the noun crony. It was originally spelled chrony in Samuel Pepys Diary of 1665 with an H no longer used. In the mid 17th century this word was college slang. Its spelling suggests that it might have been taken from Greek chronos "time", associated with the old in old friend. It also shares affinities with crone "ugly old woman", but no evidence supports this connection, either. Crone comes from Old French carogne "carrion", a word based on Latin caro, carn- "flesh", found in carnivorous "flesh-eating" and chili con carne, which means "chili with meat" in Spanish. (We are happy that Paul Ogden, one of the Good Word editors, suggested today's word even if our acceptance of the suggestion does smack a bit of cronyism.)
• The Good Dr. Goodword

David McWethy
Lexiterian

Re: Cronyism

Postby David McWethy » Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:27 am

In the extended family of "Cronyism", Dr. G. notes that:
Crone comes from Old French carogne "carrion", a word based on Latin caro, carn- "flesh", found in carnivorous "flesh-eating" and chili con carne, which means "chili with meat" in Spanish.
which brings to mind yet another third-cousin-twice-removed use of middle-son "carrion":
Two vultures attempted to board a TreeTop Airlines commuter flight, each bearing the redolent remains of unidentifiable roadkill.

"You can't bring THAT on this plane!" the gagging flight attendant managed to ejaculate.

"And why not?" the first vulture indignantly retorted. "Every other puddle-jumper allows a small amount of carry-on!"
(Well, what did you expect of me? I don't do erudite on Saturdays).
"The time has come," the Walrus said, "to talk of many things...."

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby LukeJavan8 » Sat Aug 01, 2015 12:47 pm

Our 12 term congressman recently voted out did just that:
stayed in DC as a lobbyist.
-----please, draw me a sheep-----

David McWethy
Lexiterian

Postby David McWethy » Sat Aug 01, 2015 4:57 pm

I just learned, to my sadness, that Ms. Dawn Shawley--a crony of mine, if you will, is no longer at Lexateria, and I shall greatly miss her good humor. There were many times when I felt I could safely vent to her without reprisal (such as my recent submission seven full days before a gnat's-eye variation of it was featured, and credited to another).

Take note that I did NOT state or even imply "...who may have been someone's closet crony", as this King for a Day just as likely may be innocent of any connection. I've probably been on one of Dr. G's Lists for some time and don't need to kick the envelope any further. One may infer what one chooses.

But as loyal verbivores may not otherwise learn that one of life's better cronies has--one hopes--moved on to greener pastures, this seemed to be the place to note the transition.
"The time has come," the Walrus said, "to talk of many things...."

Return to “Good Word Discussion”