Habiliment

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Habiliment

Postby Dr. Goodword » Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:19 pm

• habiliment •

Pronunciation: hæ-bil-ê-mênt • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Noun

Meaning: Outfit, attire, apparel, dress, especially military attire and accoutrements.

Notes: This word is usually used in the plural (habiliments) when it is used at all. You will probably encounter this word mostly in reading 19th and 20th century novels. The adjective, meaning "attired, equipped" is habilimented. There are no other derivational relatives.

In Play: Here is a citation from a 20th century novel: "When Calpurnia stayed overnight with us she slept on a folding cot in the kitchen; that morning it was covered with our Sunday habiliments" (Harper Lee To Kill a Mockingbird 1960). We need to return this word to common usage for special attire: "The mummers pranced down the street in the parade wearing their usual astonishing habiliments."

Word History: Today's Good word comes to us from Old French habillement, the noun for habiller "to render fit, fit out", a verb made from habile "fit, suitable". This last word, which was sometimes spelled without the initial H, came to English to be changed forthwith to able. Clothing was seen as something that fit a person, as implied by the English outfit. Old French inherited the word from Latin habitus "deportment, the appearance of the body", the past participle of habere "to have". Habit originally referred to something a person had on. Once it came to be used in reference to the dress that nuns and monks wore all the time, i.e. habitually, it took on the sense of "custom, wont". (Today's Good Word was recommended by a connoisseur of words par excellence, George Kovac, to whom we owe a debt of gratitude.)
• The Good Dr. Goodword

Philip Hudson
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: Habiliment

Postby Philip Hudson » Fri Aug 28, 2015 3:19 pm

I wasn't aware of this word. We can always use some more synonyms for common words. It perks up the conversation. Sometimes it causes someone to challenge the word and then, upon showing it to her/him on Goodword, we can feel smug and superior. And, of course, the challenger walks away in abject shame.
It is dark at night, but the Sun will come up and then we can see.

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby LukeJavan8 » Sat Aug 29, 2015 12:15 pm

Definitely profiling and not politically correct but I have an
acquaintance who says that when nuns dropped their
habits they are no longer 'nuns', but now are 'somes'.
-----please, draw me a sheep-----

Philip Hudson
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Philip Hudson » Sat Aug 29, 2015 12:31 pm

:D
It is dark at night, but the Sun will come up and then we can see.

Return to “Good Word Discussion”