Oaf

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Oaf

Postby Dr. Goodword » Sun Sep 13, 2015 11:30 pm

• oaf •

Pronunciation: owf • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Noun

Meaning: A clumsy, awkward person who is not very bright.

Notes: Most speakers have given up on the plural oaves with this noun, even those who still say loaf : loaves. We rather like it but oafs seems to be the winner here. The adjective, oafish, still stands, as do the adverb, oafishly, and the noun, oafishness.

In Play: Smart people can be awkward, but to be an oaf you must be both awkward and a bit dimwitted: "Tutwiler, the clumsy oaf, tied his shoestrings together this morning and nearly tumbled down the stairs." China shops are obvious places oafs need to avoid: "I wouldn't want to take that oaf Tutwiler to a china shop without at least two credit cards in my purse."

Word History: Did you ever wonder what happened to the root alb- "white" that we find in albino and albumin (egg white) in the Germanic languages? In English it became elf, but in Old Norse it turned into alfr "elf", which English borrowed during one of the Norsemen's uninvited visits in the Middle Ages. This left English with a problem, what to do with elf. Well, they decided to keep elf as it was, but they honed alfr into today's Good word. It would seem that both these words come from an ancient Germanic word albaz or albiz, meaning a white ghost or spirit.
• The Good Dr. Goodword

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: Oaf

Postby Slava » Wed Apr 27, 2016 4:44 pm

"...ancient Germanic word albaz or albiz, meaning a white ghost or spirit."

Now you know why Professor Dumbledore, of Harry Potter fame, had the first name of Albus.

The white of eggs is called the albumen, too. And I just learned that the stress is on the second syllable, not the first.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry Lassiter » Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:13 pm

My first two names are Albin Perry, which seems to translate into the white pear tree or full of white pears. But my grandmother always said I was full of prunes...go figure...
pl

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby LukeJavan8 » Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:57 am

The long white robe clerics wear in
services is called an "alb".
-----please, draw me a sheep-----

Return to “Good Word Discussion”