Clandestine

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Clandestine

Postby Dr. Goodword » Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:37 pm

• clandestine •

Pronunciation: klæn-des-tin • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Adjective

Meaning: Suspiciously secret, undercover, intentionally kept from the knowledge of others.

Notes: This word has done well in English, picking up two noun variations, clandestinity and clandestineness. The adverb, of course, is clandestinely. It is a word used to depict both legally secret operations, such as spying or undercover police work or, on the other hand, illegal ones.
In Play: Clandestine work may be perfectly legitimate: "We think Roswell is uncommunicative as a result of all the clandestine work he did for the Army before assuming his current job." On the other hand, it may not be: "Judging from the array of lawyers traipsing in and out of the office of Phil Anders, I would say that his wife caught wind of his 'clandestine' affair with his secretary."

Word History: Clandestine is an odd word with an odd history. It is the English makeover of Latin clandestinus "secret", probably a compound from the adverb clam "secretly" + destinare "intend, determine". Others have suggested that it is a combination of clam + de (adverb suffix) + intestinus "internal". The choice is yours: both are rather shaky. Clam itself comes from a root kol/kel- "conceal" that turned up in English hull, helmet, and hollow. It has no relation to English clam at all. In Latin we see it again in occultus "covered, concealed", which gave us English occult. The Greek variant went into the name of the water nymph Calypso, which we use today in reference to Caribbean music for reasons that also remain unknown. (We have do good reason, however, to thank Jan Arps in a completely unclandestine manner for the suggestion of today's Good Word.)
• The Good Dr. Goodword

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: Clandestine

Postby Slava » Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:25 am

I guess clandestiny would be the future fate of one's family? :?

And clandestininity would be stupidly keeping secret things that don't need to be kept so? :oops:
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Debbymoge
Lexiterian

Postby Debbymoge » Fri Jan 05, 2024 11:37 am

Slava, thanks, once again, for a morning grin...
I am but mad north-north-west. When the wind is southerly, I know a hawk from a handsaw.
Shakespear

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Fri Jan 05, 2024 11:52 am

Glad to hear it's not a mourning one! :shock:
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Debbymoge
Lexiterian

Postby Debbymoge » Sat Jan 06, 2024 11:40 am

Wouldn't that be a grimace?
I am but mad north-north-west. When the wind is southerly, I know a hawk from a handsaw.
Shakespear

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Sat Jan 06, 2024 11:46 am

If the puns were painful enough, I imagine so.

Return to “Good Word Discussion”