Segue

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Segue

Postby Dr. Goodword » Fri Sep 18, 2015 10:23 pm

• segue •

Pronunciation: seg-way • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Verb, intransitive

Meaning: To transition directly from one part or section to another without any intermediate steps.

Notes: A decade or two ago this word was the rage in academic circles. One did not transition from one topic to another but segued across topics. Today it remains a part of the general vocabulary that we all may use in place of transition. It also serves just as well as a noun, as in 'an unexpected segue to another topic'.

In Play: A segue is a direct, often sudden, shift from one topic to another: "We were talking about washing the car; how did we segue into a discussion of your Segway?" Segues can occur on a larger scale, too: "Hardy Belcher's life quickly segued into a morass of gluttony when he inherited his father's money."

Word History: Today's Good Word is the 3rd person singular present tense of the Italian verb seguire "to follow", segue "he/she/it follows". Italian inherited this verb from Latin sequi "to follow". It underlies a host of words referring to following that English borrowed from Latin and its daughters, the Romance languages. These include an earlier Good Word, sequacious, as well as sequence, persecute, and suit, as in "to follow suit". Even the ordinal number following the first one, second, comes from this root. (Time for us now to segue into an expression of appreciation to Robert Fitzgerald for suggesting today's Good Word.)
• The Good Dr. Goodword

Philip Hudson
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: Segue

Postby Philip Hudson » Sat Sep 19, 2015 11:56 am

The Good Doctor is right about the use of segue. It was spoken with ubiquity over a wide range of speakers back in the day. Once my pastor used the word. I sent him an e-mail saying that other types of speakers can segue, dancers can segue and even ice skaters can segue, but it is not a proper word to come from the mouth of a person of the cloth. He kept using it, just for spite. :D
It is dark at night, but the Sun will come up and then we can see.

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby LukeJavan8 » Sat Sep 19, 2015 12:23 pm

Seems to have disappeared around here. We must
excuse pastors, they do what God tells them.
-----please, draw me a sheep-----

damoge
Senior Lexiterian

Postby damoge » Sat Sep 19, 2015 9:10 pm

Ok. That's the explanation for "second". How did we get from "one" to "first"?

"Third" seems to follow from three...
Everything works out, one way or another

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry Lassiter » Sun Sep 20, 2015 12:28 pm

Philip, I quite like your pastor though I've never met the lad.

Re segue: L know it primarily as a theater/musical term, indicating movement from one scene to another or from one song to another. Scat singing often segues into melody.
pl

Return to “Good Word Discussion”