Paronomasia

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Paronomasia

Postby Dr. Goodword » Tue Sep 22, 2015 10:26 pm

• paronomasia •

Pronunciation: pæ-rê-nê-may-zhê, -z(h)ee-ê • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Noun

Meaning: Word play based on sound similarities, punning.

Notes: Paronomasia usually means "pun", but it actually covers other forms of wordplay, too. Using two different words in the same phrase also counts as paronomasia, e.g. 'pour out corruption from every pore'. Careful that you do not substitute A for the first O in this word: paranomasia. The adjective for this word is paronomastic or, if you need an extra syllable, paronomastical. However, for the adverb you must include the meaningless suffix -al: paronomastically.

In Play: A person who has just literally tied up someone else and who answers the telephone for that person and tells the caller, "He's all tied up right now," commits paronomasia. The names of the players in Dr. Goodword's examples are paronomastic: Maude Lynn Dresser, Amanda Lynn Player, Susan Liddy-Gates. My all-time favorite paronomasia involves a father who bought a cattle ranch for his sons, naming it the "Focus Ranch" because it was where the sons raise meat (sun's rays meet).

Word History: Today's Good Word traces its origins back to ancient Greek paronomasia, composed of para "beside, beyond" + onomasia "naming", which went into the making of the verb paronomazein "to alter slightly the naming". Para came from Proto-Indo-European por-/per-/pr- "at, near, before", found also in Latin per "through, across" and English for, fore- and far. Onomasia was derivative of onoma "name". Onoma came from PIE no-men "name", which came through English's Germanic ancestors as name. The Greek word went into the making of onomastic "related to names or naming" and into all the words on -onym: homonym, synonym, antonym, etc. (Let's now braid together few words of gratitude for Larry Brady, the contributor of today's very select Good Word.)
• The Good Dr. Goodword

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: Paronomasia

Postby LukeJavan8 » Wed Sep 23, 2015 12:25 pm

Thanks, Larry. New one to me, but I don't think it'll catch on here.
-----please, draw me a sheep-----

wurdpurrson
Lexiterian

Postby wurdpurrson » Wed Sep 23, 2015 3:26 pm

I first heard the paronomasia about the Focus Ranch (also called, perhaps erroneously, the Solar Apex Ranch) in 1961, but it was presented as a triple example, adding "the place where the sons raze meat". It obviously wasn't referring to a dairy operation.

bnjtokyo

Postby bnjtokyo » Fri Sep 25, 2015 3:30 am

I heard those boys all married women who happened to be named "Ray," and they all lived happily in the Focus Ranch house at the centre of the spread.

wurdpurrson
Lexiterian

Postby wurdpurrson » Fri Sep 25, 2015 12:27 pm

I'd think the wives' names would be spelled "Rae", the more common feminine form of the name. Did they perhaps also raise Cain as they met at that central room (those naughty Raes)?

George Kovac

Postby George Kovac » Fri Oct 02, 2015 1:48 pm

From steel guitarist Buddy Emmon's obit in today's NYT is this terrible bit of paronomasia:

<<He not only played but also perfected the instrument, designing his own signature model, the Emmons Guitar, and continuing to fiddle with the mechanisms through his Emmons Guitar Company. >>

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Sat May 07, 2016 1:58 pm

I'd think the wives' names would be spelled "Rae", the more common feminine form of the name. Did they perhaps also raise Cain as they met at that central room (those naughty Raes)?
And Cain's nickname was "Sugar"?
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

misterdoe
Senior Lexiterian

Postby misterdoe » Sat May 07, 2016 2:16 pm

Years and years ago, the comic strip Hagar the Horrible did a one-paneler with Hagar in just shorts yelling at a man with measuring tape around his shoulders and holding scissors and fabric. His wife was nearby on the phone, telling someone that "Hagar's having a fit at his tailor."

misterdoe
Senior Lexiterian

Postby misterdoe » Wed May 25, 2016 7:58 pm

An example from the Big Bang Theory: After Raj's sister Priya had put Sheldon in his place after something he said, Leonard responded with, "My girl's licensed to practice law in three countries and your face!" Even Sheldon had to take a moment to let that one sink in. :)

Return to “Good Word Discussion”