Sabbatical

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Sabbatical

Postby Dr. Goodword » Tue Sep 29, 2015 10:31 pm

• sabbatical •

Pronunciation: sê-bæt-i-kêl • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Adjective

Meaning: 1. Seventh (year), as in 'sabbatical leave of absence', which occurs approximately every seventh year in academia. 2. Today, any break for work of any sort to pursue some other goal, such as traveling, lecturing, or writing a book. 3. Related to the Sabbath.

Notes: Sabbatical is an adjective that is used more frequently as a noun. Professors at US universities receive a sabbatical every seventh year so that they can undertake research. Tenure is also awarded about the seventh year. The word is used today as a sophisticated way to indicate any leave of absence or other break from work.

In Play: Academic sabbaticals are supposed to be spent conducting research; however, they are not always so spent: "Professor Emma Chiset spent her sabbatical shopping in Europe." Today the term applies to any job: "Rhoda Book took a sabbatical leave of absence from IBM to write a book about the threat of computers to our way of life."

Word History: Today's word was made from Late Latin sabbaticus by removing the final -us and adding the meaningless suffix -al. Latin copied the word from the Greek sabbatikos, the adjective for the noun sabbaton "Sabbath". Greek picked up its word from Hebrew šabbat from the verb šabat "to cease, rest". So our word Sabbath goes back to the Hebrew word for "day of rest". The ancient Babylonians thought the seventh day unlucky, so they didn't work on that day. It may have been this tradition that the story of Genesis reflected. The confusion of Christians and Jews over exactly which day is the day of rest came from which day you count as the first day: Monday or Sunday. (We are grateful to Mark Bailey for returning from his sabbatical to recommend excellent Good Words like today's.)
• The Good Dr. Goodword

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: Sabbatical

Postby LukeJavan8 » Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:46 pm

Christians switched the sabbath because they say Christ
rose from the dead on that day.
-----please, draw me a sheep-----

Philip Hudson
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Philip Hudson » Sat Oct 03, 2015 4:47 pm

I find it interesting that Sabbath and seventh are similar in sound but are not etymologically similar. As a Christian, I consider the Sabbath to be the seventh day of the week, that is, Saturday. However, the old covenant on which the ten commandments are based, is not binding on the Christian except in its moral dictums. Sunday is not the Christian Sabbath. It became the day of worship for Christians because Jesus was raised from the dead on Sunday. It is properly called The Lord's Day.

Some Christians disagree and I respect their beliefs.
It is dark at night, but the Sun will come up and then we can see.

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry Lassiter » Tue Oct 06, 2015 12:10 am

Lexicon not handy, but I'm fairly sure sabbath comes from the Hebrew term for seven or seventh.
pl

Philip Hudson
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Philip Hudson » Tue Oct 06, 2015 3:31 am

Sabbath means rest in Hebrew, not seven. On the seventh day God rested.
It is dark at night, but the Sun will come up and then we can see.

George Kovac

Postby George Kovac » Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:37 am

Some observations from Spanglish-speaking Miami:

The Spanish word for "Saturday" is "sabado."

I note that Mario Luis Kreutzberger Blumenfeld, better known by his stage name, Don Francisco, the host of the long-running, wildly popular Spanish language variety show "Sabado Gigante," is stepping down from that post after 53 years on the job: a much earned sabbatical.

Return to “Good Word Discussion”