Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Postby Dr. Goodword » Tue Nov 29, 2005 12:21 am

• karma •

Pronunciation: kah(r)-mê • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Noun, mass (no plural)

Meaning: 1. [Hinduism & Buddhism] The effects of our actions that determine our destiny in our next incarnation. 2. Vibes, aura, a distinct sense of or feeling for a place, person, or object. 3. Fate, destiny.

Notes: You might try the adjective, karmic, though the mixing of a Sanskrit root with a Latin suffix is a little strange. Karma, of course, is not directly related to 'carma', our reward in this life for polite driving. Good 'carma' is built up by allowing other drivers into long traffic lines, giving up contested parking spaces, and the like. It results in finding more and better parking places, dodging road rage, and finding stations with lower gasoline prices.

In Play: Remember, your karma does not speak to your success in this life, but to your reincarnated form: "If I'm any judge of karma, Willy can look forward to a second life as a real leech." In the English-speaking world, however, the word indicates the feel and invisible aura of something: "The karma in their house always sours when they bring out the slide shows."

Word History: Today's Good Word is the Sanskrit word for "deed" from the verb karoti "performs, does, acts", that is to say, an action that has consequences. Sanskrit is an Indo-European language related to English and most of the languages of Europe. So, it shouldn't be surprising to discover that this word is related to Latin creare "to create". In Russian we find chary "magic" and charovat' "to charm, enchant" (Carma was suggested by Collette St. Clair, Denver's premier piano instructor, who drives politely around the city in search of Good Words like today's.)
• The Good Dr. Goodword

gailr
Grand Panjandrum

Postby gailr » Tue Nov 29, 2005 10:22 pm

anders
Lexiterian

Postby anders » Wed Nov 30, 2005 1:19 pm

I prefer to think that it is the 'fruits of actions' = 'fruits of karma' rather than just 'karma' that is supposed to determine the destiny.
Irren ist männlich

Apoclima
Senior Lexiterian

Postby Apoclima » Wed Nov 30, 2005 5:06 pm

Exactly, reaping what you sow! or wearing what you sew!

Apo
'Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination.' -Max Planck

KatyBr
Wordmaster

Postby KatyBr » Wed Nov 30, 2005 5:58 pm

I suffer from Instant Karma, just add anything negative stir and wince!

Kt

gailr
Grand Panjandrum

Postby gailr » Wed Nov 30, 2005 10:49 pm

Exactly, reaping what you sow! or wearing what you sew!

Apo
Reminds me of a home ec teacher who cautioned careless young pupils with, "as ye sew, so shall ye rip".
-gailr

who may cut up now and then, but tries not to needle others in an unseamly fashion

tcward
Wordmaster

Postby tcward » Thu Dec 01, 2005 11:09 am

I think my karma's inspection sticker ran out.

-Tim ;)

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Thu Dec 01, 2005 12:59 pm

From a Mary Prankster song:
I’m not a kid anymore
I don’t know what I did anymore
But on every damn pass, karma bushwacks my ass
And I get it all back
While I admire her way with words, including rhyme & meter, colloquialisms (" . . . goin' downy ocean, hon" on Blue Skies Over Dundalk) and even Shakespeare (Green Eggs and Hamlet), most of her lyrics are "Not Suitable For Airplay." Those easily offended should honor the First Amendment and just stay away. :wink:
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

M. Henri Day
Grand Panjandrum

Postby M. Henri Day » Sun Dec 04, 2005 12:48 pm

袖摺り合うも他生の縁....
Henri
曾记否,到中流击水,浪遏飞舟?

Return to “Good Word Discussion”