Parsimony

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
M. Henri Day
Grand Panjandrum

Parsimony

Postby M. Henri Day » Sun Dec 11, 2005 3:11 pm

The most parsimonious explanation I've been able to invent for why certain GWotD are not posted to the Agora, is that our barbuto of a Good Doctor is one of those fortunate people who realise that life is short, and therefore avoids going to the office or engaging in that type of work on weekends («parsimony» received its apotheosis on 3 December, a day dedicated to one of the more unpleasant Graeco-Roman gods). Admittedly, there are certain phenomena not covered by my theory - «flimsy», for example, is a Thursday's child. Perhaps 8 December was a holiday in the US of which I was unaware - or maybe Dr Goodword just took a day off....

Henri
• parsimony •

Pronunciation: pah(r)-sê-mo-nee • [urlhttp://www.alphadictionary.com/sounds/parsimony.mp3]Hear it![/url]

Part of Speech: Noun, mass

Meaning: 1. Frugality, husbandry, economy, the judicious, even sparing, use of resources. 2. Tight-fisted stinginess.

Notes: The adjective of this Good Word is parsimonious [pah(r)-sê-mo-ni-ês] and the adverb, parsimoniously. A penurious person is usually stingy because of poverty. A parsimonious person is simply judicious in spending habits. The Law of Parsimony, on the other hand, also known as Occam's Razor, is a preference for the simplest explanation of the largest array of facts. Occam’s Razor cuts off the superfluous; in other words, it is best to explain the most you can in the fewest words—it's the law!

In Play: Today's Good Word reflects an attitude that often goes out the window this time of the year. Edmund Burke may have had the holidays in mind when he wrote, "Mere parsimony is not economy…. Expense, and great expense, may be an essential part in true economy;" which is to say, keep an eye on the long term. It is the case that today's word is not ineluctably wedded to finances: "Mom, don't be so parsimonious with the mashed potatoes; I'm a growing boy!"

Word History: Today's Good Word was taken from French, who got it from Latin parsimonia "parsimony". The Latin noun is built on parsus, the past participle of parcere "to be sparing". The root is probably related to the Greek word sparnos "rare, uncommon" and English spare. It is also tied to Latin parvus "small" and paucus "few." (We should not be parsimonious with our gratitude to Katy Brezger for suggesting today's very Good Word.)

曾记否,到中流击水,浪遏飞舟?

Brazilian dude
Grand Panjandrum

Postby Brazilian dude » Sun Dec 11, 2005 3:17 pm

I've never understood how Henri has access to the Doctor's treasure trove.

Brazilian dude
Languages rule!

M. Henri Day
Grand Panjandrum

Postby M. Henri Day » Sun Dec 11, 2005 3:36 pm

If promised anonymity, I can speak off the record but for citation - in the event Dr G doesn't himself choose to explain....

Henri
曾记否,到中流击水,浪遏飞舟?

Brazilian dude
Grand Panjandrum

Postby Brazilian dude » Sun Dec 11, 2005 3:38 pm

Send me a PM then.

Brazilian dude
Languages rule!

Brazilian dude
Grand Panjandrum

Postby Brazilian dude » Sun Dec 11, 2005 3:38 pm

I know, you're his favorite, his petit protégé.

Brazilian dude
Languages rule!

M. Henri Day
Grand Panjandrum

Postby M. Henri Day » Sun Dec 11, 2005 3:41 pm

Bring Teacher an apple every day, I do....

Henri
曾记否,到中流击水,浪遏飞舟?

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Thu Dec 15, 2005 12:29 am

I've never understood how Henri has access to the Doctor's treasure trove.

Brazilian dude
Uh, mine comes in the Email . . . 8)

I've caught a few things that have caused him to flay his editors at times . . . :wink:
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

M. Henri Day
Grand Panjandrum

Postby M. Henri Day » Thu Dec 15, 2005 4:46 pm

I've caught a few things that have caused him to flay his editors at times . . . :wink:
Larry, I find it incumbent upon me to remind you that neither I, nor, I am sure, our dear Dr G, do torture. A mild slap, now and then, just to get our underlings' attention, is another matter entirely, as we have here been informed....

Henri
曾记否,到中流击水,浪遏飞舟?

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Sat Dec 17, 2005 1:18 am

Larry, I find it incumbent upon me to remind you that neither I, nor, I am sure, our dear Dr G, do torture. A mild slap, now and then, just to get our underlings' attention, is another matter entirely, as we have here been informed....

Henri
But they're employees, not prisoners, so the Geneva Convention doesn't apply.

An old office sign:
They can't fire us; slaves have to be sold!
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."

gailr
Grand Panjandrum

Postby gailr » Thu Dec 22, 2005 1:30 am

But they're employees, not prisoners, so the Geneva Convention doesn't apply.

An old office sign:
They can't fire us; slaves have to be sold!
I prefer this one.
-gailr

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Thu Dec 22, 2005 1:33 am

. . .
I prefer this one.
-gailr
Ah, yes; another classic to anyone who has worked in a large bureaucracy such as the Government.
Regards//Larry

Return to “Good Word Discussion”