One never speaks with an accent, only others do.

A forum for discussing US dialects (accents).
Huny
Lexiterian

Postby Huny » Sat Jun 24, 2006 3:41 pm

I so totally agree with the generational thing with the "valley talk" type accent.
I was enchanted to read this, Huny. In social conversations with the 20-somethings in my work group, I soooo hear frequent usage of TOE'-tahl-eeeeeee in their speech.

I think we're stuck with the valley girl speech; like the affected southern, cowboy, preacher, rapper, or BBC-America-derived British affectations, they do seem to fill a need for those who identify intensely with niche groups. And y'all, much like, say, the commemorative t-shirt from the best concert you ever went to, they are so totally fun to put on now and then, when with your peeps...

-gailr
The "totally" was meant to be a funny, I guess I botched that one. :oops: But I agree, the usage of the "valley talk" does seen to leave one once they edge toward their thirties. I stopped that speech pattern once I got to my late tewnties. But, oddly enough, a radio DJ friend of mine in Arkansas liked to record little snippets of my "vally" talk for his radio station (I was fresh out of Cali). This embarrassed me to no end at first. There was a lot to be learned from this experience. First, it drew unwanted attention to myself in a place I was trying to blend into. Second, I was able to hear just how ridiculous
and juvenile I sounded to myself. So, I left much of my youthful vicabulary behind at that point and moved on.(left Arkansas behind, too) You know what they say..When in Rome...
"What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compaired to what lies inside us." R.W.E.

Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Bailey » Sat Jun 24, 2006 4:23 pm

I hadn't heard much of the up-talking last time I was in Seattle, but OMIGod! it's soooooo prevalent in many I hear on regular TV, not the news or professional so much as the regular people. Yes, I know the last was the "val' but I hear that from older folks too, when they aren't thinking. When I say regular folks I mean in interviews and such, on Jay Leno, for instance, or on some cooking shows (I'd hoped I wouldn't have to admit to this, I love to barbeque, OK?) I think it sounds (both uptalking and VAL) pretentious. But anything obviously faked sounds that way, I suppose, I really wish this whole subject had not come up.

mark

Today is the first day of the rest of your life, Make the most of it...
kb

Huny
Lexiterian

Postby Huny » Sat Jun 24, 2006 5:19 pm

I hadn't heard much of the up-talking last time I was in Seattle, but OMIGod! it's soooooo prevalent in many I hear on regular TV, not the news or professional so much as the regular people. Yes, I know the last was the "val' but I hear that from older folks too, when they aren't thinking. When I say regular folks I mean in interviews and such, on Jay Leno, for instance, or on some cooking shows (I'd hoped I wouldn't have to admit to this, I love to barbeque, OK?) I think it sounds (both uptalking and VAL) pretentious. But anything obviously faked sounds that way, I suppose, I really wish this whole subject had not come up.

mark
LOL. Please don't feel as though the subject should not have come up. You have some great points. And some I agree with. I guess that is what this forum is all about. I always try to keep an open mind and learn from all everyone has to say. And what is wrong with loving the fine art of barbeque-ing? It is so "now". Everyone who is anyone is doing it these days. So chic! :wink:
It is interesting what comes out of ones mouth when one is not thinking. Kind of like when my grandmother is deep in thought about one thing or another and she slips (I almost wrote "lips up" :oops: ) up and starts talkin' that low country talk of hers. It is so funny. People in general are funny, don't you agree? Diversity is the spice of life! O.K., now I'm babbling, although as hot as it is, I wish I was in a "babbling brook" to cool off...See, there I go again. Man!
"What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compaired to what lies inside us." R.W.E.

Return to “The Rebel-Yankee Test”