Rebel-Yankee on Charleston, SC News Tonight

A forum for discussing US dialects (accents).
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Rebel-Yankee on Charleston, SC News Tonight

Postby Dr. Goodword » Thu Jun 29, 2006 4:48 pm

Live 5 news [Charleston, SC] went out and found out how people in Charleston did on the alphaDictionary Rebel (Dixie)-Yankee test. The results might surprise you. Watch the video to see how they did on the test. You might also be surprised to find out how Live 5 News' own Amanda Fitzpatrick and Rob Youngblood scored. [The newscast was taken down.]
Last edited by Dr. Goodword on Sat Jul 08, 2006 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
• The Good Dr. Goodword

GoCat
Junior Lexiterian

Postby GoCat » Sat Jul 01, 2006 9:58 pm

Did anyone else notice that Miss Newscaster kept referring to "Dixen" instead of "Dixie"? Was that just her mispronunciation? I've never heard anyone in all my life say Dixen. And she is supposedly from the South!

:shock:

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Sat Jul 01, 2006 11:02 pm

Did anyone else notice that Miss Newscaster kept referring to "Dixen" instead of "Dixie"? Was that just her mispronunciation? I've never heard anyone in all my life say Dixen. And she is supposedly from the South!

I thought she was saying "Dixan" as an adjectival form of "Dixie" (which in turn is taken from Mason and Dixon, the surveyors of Mason and Dixon's Line, the border between Maryland and Pennsylvania and between Maryland and Delaware). I'd never heard before either, but then, I'm not from that far south. However, if you study the geography of the Civil War, you'll see why there was no way on God's green Earth that the North was about to let Maryland secede.
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

GoCat
Junior Lexiterian

Postby GoCat » Mon Jul 03, 2006 1:59 pm

I thought she was saying "Dixan" as an adjectival form of "Dixie"
That's what I initially thought. She used it nearly every time. Just thought it sounded funny since in everything I've ever read pertaining to Dixie or anyone I've ever known from across the South, not once have I seen or heard it referred to as such.

:roll:

sluggo
Grand Panjandrum

Postby sluggo » Tue Jul 04, 2006 10:43 pm

Was it something like Dixie-an, i.e. an adjective? The video link doesn't seem to work :cry:
Stop! Murder us not, tonsured rumpots! Knife no one, fink!

Huny
Lexiterian

Postby Huny » Wed Jul 05, 2006 1:15 am

Maybe she was just hoping to get Christmas in July by saying "Dixen". Maybe It would have worked if she had asked for the one with the red nose instead. :wink: BTW: I couldn't get the link to work either.
"What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compaired to what lies inside us." R.W.E.

GoCat
Junior Lexiterian

Postby GoCat » Wed Jul 05, 2006 10:37 am

Maybe she was just hoping to get Christmas in July by saying "Dixen". Maybe It would have worked if she had asked for the one with the red nose instead. :wink: BTW: I couldn't get the link to work either.
:lol: Uh, no, Huny, I don't think that was it! :wink:

No, she wasn't saying Dixie-an. It was cleary Dixen. I thought at any moment that her co-anchor would correct her but he never did. Maybe off the air.

:roll:

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Wed Jul 05, 2006 6:10 pm

The way newscasters wander from job to job, she may have been from the South: Southern Canada.
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

gailr
Grand Panjandrum

Postby gailr » Thu Jul 06, 2006 12:57 am

I thought she did a fair job with the footage of "Dixon" speech. Too bad they didn't give her any examples of "Mason" for comparison. {Rimshot}

I enjoyed the link, though; thanks for posting it, Dr. Goodword. This promotion may net some screaming linguistic groupies, yet. Hopefully, they won't casually misuse adverbs...

-gailr

tcward
Wordmaster

Postby tcward » Fri Jul 07, 2006 4:14 pm

Apparently the new link has removed the '/state' subdirectory...

-Tim

Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Bailey » Fri Jul 07, 2006 7:41 pm

The Dixon was adjectival she always used it as a qualifier not a destination, I think she was hypercorrecting and it sounded silly.

mark

Today is the first day of the rest of your life, Make the most of it...
kb

Return to “The Rebel-Yankee Test”