Further

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
William Hupy
Senior Lexiterian

Further

Postby William Hupy » Fri Oct 02, 2015 10:30 am

This is another "F" word ripe with controversy. Some contend that only "farther" should be used to describe distance and that further should be utilized to describe something that exists to a greater extent so that the two are not synonymous. Anyone game to set the record straight?
William A. Hupy

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: Further

Postby Perry Lassiter » Sat Oct 03, 2015 11:07 am

That's been my understanding too. I generally preserve that distinction in writing, but not necessarily in speaking. I have reqd articles maintaining it made no real difference.
pl

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:57 am

It seems both are correct in many places, but not all:
Although some usage guides insist that only farther should be used for physical distance ( We walked farther than we planned), farther and further have been used interchangeably throughout much of their histories. However, only further is used in the adverbial sense “moreover” ( Further, you hurt my feelings) and in the adjectival senses “more extended” ( no further comment) and “additional” ( Further bulletins came in).
The expression all the farther (or further) in place of as far as occurs chiefly in informal speech: This is all the farther the train goes.
I've never heard or heard of this last usage.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry Lassiter » Mon Feb 01, 2016 2:35 pm

I've heard all the farther (further?), but in relation to ideas or arguments, not trains, roads, nor vehicles.
pl

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:34 am

I would say "furthermore" for ideas and arguments.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”