nary

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
KatyBr
Wordmaster

nary

Postby KatyBr » Wed Feb 01, 2006 2:54 am

nar·y (nâr)
adj.
Not one: "Frequently, measures of major import . . . glide through these chambers with nary a whisper of debate" George B. Merry.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Alteration of ne'er a.]

The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition copyright ©2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Updated in 2003. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.

ThesaurusLegend: Synonyms Related Words AntonymsAdj. 1. nary - (used with singular count nouns) colloquial for `not a' or `not one' or `never a'; "heard nary a sound"
no - quantifier; used with either mass nouns or plural count nouns for indicating a complete or almost complete lack or zero quantity of; "we have no bananas"; "no eggs left and no money to buy any"; "have you no decency?"; "did it with no help"; "I'll get you there in no time"
Sandy said in the midst of a heated argument, "Please note I've cast nary a single aspersion"

I like Aspersion too:
as·per·sion (-spûrzhn, -shn)
n.
a. An unfavorable or damaging remark; slander: Don't cast aspersions on my honesty.
b. The act of defaming or slandering.
2. A sprinkling, especially with holy water.

The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition copyright ©2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Updated in 2003. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.

ThesaurusLegend: Synonyms Related Words AntonymsNoun 1. aspersion - a disparaging remark; "in the 19th century any reference to female sexuality was considered a vile aspersion"; "it is difficult for a woman to understand a man's sensitivity to any slur on his virility"
slur
derogation, disparagement, depreciation - a communication that belittles somebody or something
ethnic slur - a slur on someone's race or language
picaninny, piccaninny, pickaninny - (offensive) a Black child
2. aspersion - an abusive attack on a person's character or good name
calumny, defamation, denigration, slander
attack - strong criticism; "he published an unexpected attack on my work"
3. aspersion - the act of sprinkling water in baptism (rare)
sprinkling
baptism - a Christian sacrament signifying spiritual cleansing and rebirth; "most churches baptize infants but some insist on adult baptism"
both quotes came from www.freedictionary.com

Kt :)

Brazilian dude
Grand Panjandrum

Postby Brazilian dude » Wed Feb 01, 2006 10:03 am

No wonder I think of spraying when I hear aspersion.
2. A sprinkling, especially with holy water
Related to Portuguese aspersão, Spanish aspersión, Italian aspersione, Catalan aspersió, French aspersion, Romanian aspersiune.

Brazilian dude
Languages rule!

gailr
Grand Panjandrum

Postby gailr » Wed Feb 01, 2006 10:44 pm

although never tapped to brandish an aspergillum, I did have the opportunity to incense the congregation a few times...
-gailr

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”