Phrontistery

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
Flaminius
Lexiterian

Phrontistery

Postby Flaminius » Wed Mar 01, 2006 6:01 am

Phrontistery --a word my pompous nature prompts me to use more often than simpler words such as school, college, university and institute-- is where one studies. While checking its etymology, I was surprised by American Heritage, my sure etymological compendium on the Web, not listing the word as an entry.

Apoclima
Senior Lexiterian

Postby Apoclima » Wed Mar 01, 2006 7:07 am

Wow! Never hear that before! Does it come anywhere close to Phreno- ?

Apo
'Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination.' -Max Planck

Andrew Dalby
Junior Lexiterian

Re: Phrontistery

Postby Andrew Dalby » Wed Mar 01, 2006 9:05 am

Phrontistery --a word my pompous nature prompts me to use more often than simpler words such as school, college, university and institute-- is where one studies. While checking its etymology, I was surprised by American Heritage, my sure etymological compendium on the Web, not listing the word as an entry.
Straight from ancient Greek phrontisterion, a 'thinking shop'. This was a joke-word invented by the playwright Aristophanes to ridicule the philosopher Socrates and his pupils. 'Hence applied to modern educational institutions', says the OED, with tongue in cheek.

Apoclima
Senior Lexiterian

Postby Apoclima » Wed Mar 01, 2006 3:32 pm

Thanks, Andrew, for pointing me in the right direction on this word!
Phrontisterion

phrontisterion: fron'tis-te-rion, n. a Think-tank [Gr. from phrontes a thinker; called by Aristophanes to school of Socrates]

PHRONTISTERION
Apo
'Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination.' -Max Planck

tcward
Wordmaster

Postby tcward » Wed Mar 01, 2006 4:11 pm

Phrontistery reminds me of this site.

-Tim

Apoclima
Senior Lexiterian

Postby Apoclima » Wed Mar 01, 2006 4:35 pm

Flaminius
Lexiterian

Postby Flaminius » Wed Mar 01, 2006 9:44 pm

Schizophenia, hebephrenia, phrase and frenzy too.

They are ultimately come from PIE gwhren.

gailr
Grand Panjandrum

Postby gailr » Wed Mar 01, 2006 10:34 pm

Apo, the link you provided reminded me of the current disconsolate thread (and other past discussions):

"Doctor, I am plagued with chronic sorrows and exhausted from my worries. Is there anything that can help?"

"After reviewing your medical history, and--most importantly--your insurance coverage, I am afraid that the phronosis is poor."

-gailr

Thank you, folks, I'll be here all week. Be sure to tip your waiters.

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”