Jackboot

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
tcward
Wordmaster

Jackboot

Postby tcward » Fri Mar 10, 2006 4:10 pm

A quote from the O'Reilly Network caught my eye:
Automatic network configuration is squarely under the jackboot of Metcalfe's law (utility being equal to the square of the number of devices). A protocol that claims to be a connecting force is, by definition, either universal or useless.
Although I knew immediately what the author was saying, I was intrigued by this phrase and did some searching:
A jackboot is a type of military boot. Jackboots are heavily associated with fascism, particularly Nazism.
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I think this image depicts the author's intent:

From idDream.com

-Tim

KatyBr
Wordmaster

Postby KatyBr » Fri Mar 10, 2006 6:27 pm

Don't forget the Sam Browne
Image named for
General Sir Samuel James Browne VC, GCB, KCSI (3 October 1824 - 14 March 1901) was a British Army cavalry officer in IndiaVC, GCB, KCSI (3 October 1824 - 14 March 1901) was a British Army cavalry officer in India and the Near East, best known today as the namesake of the Sam Browne belt.
He was born in Barrackpore, India, the son of a surgeon in the Bengal Medical Service. Browne joined the 46th Bengal Native Infantry as a subaltern, participating in action at Ramnuggar, Sadoolapore, Chillianwalla and Gujarat.

In 1849 he was made a lieutenant and tasked with raising a cavalry force, to be designated the 2nd Punjab Irregular Cavalry and later incorporated into the regular force. He would command this unit for the next five years. http://www.diggerhistory.info/pages-uni ... browne.htm
I deliberately didn't pick the Nazi version. to keep controversy down, :)

Kt

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”