Minister

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
scw1217
Lexiterian

Minister

Postby scw1217 » Sat Mar 25, 2006 10:04 am

I'm not sure why but I find the origin of this word interesting. Dictionary.com gives it as:
min·is·ter
n. Abbr. Min.

1. a. One who is authorized to perform religious functions in a Christian church, especially a Protestant church.
b. Roman Catholic Church. The superior in certain orders.
2. A high officer of state appointed to head an executive or administrative department of government.
3. An authorized diplomatic representative of a government, usually ranking next below an ambassador.
4. A person serving as an agent for another by carrying out specified orders or functions.

v. min·is·tered, min·is·ter·ing, min·is·ters
v. intr.

1. To attend to the wants and needs of others: Volunteers ministered to the homeless after the flood. See Synonyms at tend2.
2. To perform the functions of a cleric.

v. tr.

To administer or dispense (a sacrament, for example).

[Middle English, from Old French ministre, from Latin minister, servant. See mei-2 in Indo-European Roots.]

I guess it goes back to my roots in the church. Not to go religious on you, but Jesus in John 13:14 states "If I then, your Lord and Master, have washed your feet; ye also ought to wash one another's feet." The story goes that Peter did not want Jesus, who he considered his Lord to do something so menial as washing his (Peter's) feet. We refer to many of our church leaders as the "minister" which in effect means servant. Food for thought.

Flaminius
Lexiterian

Postby Flaminius » Sat Mar 25, 2006 10:35 am

Magistrate would make a pair with minister.

scw1217
Lexiterian

Postby scw1217 » Sat Mar 25, 2006 10:47 am

Magistrate would make a pair with minister.
Interesting. That does bring to mind the question what other words would have spawned from this same root.

Flaminius
Lexiterian

Postby Flaminius » Sat Mar 25, 2006 11:37 am

Magna Carta
macrobian
magnetic

that is all I can get from my humble mnemonic device...

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”