abrogate

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
RobertsJJ
Junior Lexiterian

abrogate

Postby RobertsJJ » Thu Mar 30, 2006 1:40 am

Since obviate was one of the last Good Words, I thought a nice comparison to abrogate would be in order, though perhaps there is no need :D (sorry, I had to say it).

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Thu Mar 30, 2006 9:06 am

Maybe Brazilan dude can tell us if there is any relationship between abrogate and obrigado (thank you). Maybe this comes together when no thanks are necessary?

So sue me. I'm a bit rusty! LOL
"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once. Lately it hasn't been working."
Anonymous

Brazilian dude
Grand Panjandrum

Postby Brazilian dude » Thu Mar 30, 2006 11:42 am

Nah, I don't think there's any relationship. Obrigado is the past participle of the verb obrigar (to oblige, to obligate), Latin ob-ligare (to tie/bind around). Abrogate (Pt abrogar) comes from Latin ab-rogare (to pray/ask away), so I don't think so.

Brazilian dude
Languages rule!

frank
Lexiterian

Postby frank » Thu Mar 30, 2006 12:05 pm

Maybe Brazilan dude can tell us if there is any relationship between abrogate and obrigado (thank you). Maybe this comes together when no thanks are necessary?
There is a relationship between Pt. '(muito) obrigado' and Eng. '(much) obliged', and both are derived from the same word.

Portuguese has quite a few instances of l <> r, as in escravo (Lat. sclavus), praça (VLat. plattea), etc. Other l <> r changes only affect some dialect areas, and l <> r also features in comic book(let)s as the Cebolinha series ("Este é o meu blinquedo plefelido").

Flank

Brazilian dude
Grand Panjandrum

Postby Brazilian dude » Thu Mar 30, 2006 12:24 pm

Frank, read more closely:
Maybe Brazilan dude can tell us if there is any relationship between abrogate and obrigado (thank you).
Brazilian dude
Languages rule!

frank
Lexiterian

Postby frank » Thu Mar 30, 2006 7:09 pm

any relationship between abrogate and obrigado (thank you).
I thought the reply implied a clear and loud no to any kind of perceived relationship between the two words suggested above :-).

F

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Thu Mar 30, 2006 11:28 pm

any relationship between abrogate and obrigado (thank you).
I thought the reply implied a clear and loud no to any kind of perceived relationship between the two words suggested above :-).

F
I agree with BD. The fact that you discuss a relationship between two other words does not automatically imply that you had ruled the two other words to be unrelated.

BTW, what is the Arabic or Farsi script in your signature?
"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once. Lately it hasn't been working."
Anonymous

frank
Lexiterian

Postby frank » Fri Mar 31, 2006 4:43 am

I agree with BD. The fact that you discuss a relationship between two other words does not automatically imply that you had ruled the two other words to be unrelated.
I thought it to be obvious. My apologies...
BTW, what is the Arabic or Farsi script in your signature?
لـپـتـو بـكـشـم اخ
"If i'd pull your cheek, ouch'. The story behind it involves a small but nice garden in the middle of Tehran, 40°C, my (then future) wife, and a water hose.

Frank

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”