baksheesh

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
magi
Junior Lexiterian

baksheesh

Postby magi » Sun May 28, 2006 11:57 am

baksheesh
n.

A gratuity, tip, or bribe paid to expedite service, especially in some Near Eastern countries.
Not even the five fingers of our hands are alike.
--Afghan proverb

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Mon May 29, 2006 9:13 pm

Magi,

I notice that all, or nearly all, of your postings are word suggestions. I wonder if you might get more of a response if you were to also let us know what you found interesting about these specific words.
"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once. Lately it hasn't been working."
Anonymous

magi
Junior Lexiterian

Postby magi » Tue May 30, 2006 12:59 pm

Hi Perry.

I just find words fascinating; they can be so important and powerful. I figure members of the agora must feel the same -- so I post words often. That is my main reasoning for sharing them; it isn't to get a response. Posting words helps me to remember them, too. Whether people want to discuss them, I would prefer to leave up to them.

I'm new to the world of words and language, anyway. And, therefore, the majority of you know far more than I do about them. But I am learning!

Thanks,

Magi
Not even the five fingers of our hands are alike.
--Afghan proverb

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Tue May 30, 2006 9:42 pm

Well actually, you either have a very good vocabulary, or else you have a good eye (or ear) for excellent words that are new to you.

We other members each bring our own education and predilections to this forum. Some like to get into very technical discussions, some to tell stories, some like myself enjoy free association and word play. By all means continue to post new words, but with each new posting, consider perhaps bringing a bit of yourself.

Perry
"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once. Lately it hasn't been working."
Anonymous

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”