dun

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
magi
Junior Lexiterian

dun

Postby magi » Sun Jun 18, 2006 4:43 pm

dun.
tr. v.
To importune (a debtor) for payment: a dunning letter.

n.
adj.

An almost neutral brownish gray to dull grayish brown.
Not even the five fingers of our hands are alike.
--Afghan proverb

Huny
Lexiterian

Re: dun

Postby Huny » Sun Jun 18, 2006 9:55 pm

dun.
tr. v.
To importune (a debtor) for payment: a dunning letter.

n.
adj.

An almost neutral brownish gray to dull grayish brown.
This is interesting. This is a word that my husbnd uses when we get bills in the mail. Being as how I had never heard the word referred to as a bill or a debt before, I thought it was just some kind of slang word he came up with. Wow. It hurts my Id, Ego, and Super Ego to know he of all people knew a word I didn't. If you knew him, you would know why..Anyway..I guess I wasn't keeping an open mind after all. I am shamed of myself :oops:
"What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compaired to what lies inside us." R.W.E.

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Mon Jun 19, 2006 9:42 am

I dun know your hubbie, so I dun know if you really need to blush.

Intersting that as a color, it describes a fairly dull shade of brown/gray. Could this be a commentary on accountants?
"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once. Lately it hasn't been working."
Anonymous

tcward
Wordmaster

Postby tcward » Mon Jun 19, 2006 11:58 am

And as an acronym, it means Dial-Up Networking (in Microsoft-ese).

-Tim

Huny
Lexiterian

Postby Huny » Mon Jun 19, 2006 1:31 pm

I dun know your hubbie, so I dun know if you really need to blush.

Intersting that as a color, it describes a fairly dull shade of brown/gray. Could this be a commentary on accountants?
Believe it or not, the word reminds me of the color of cow dung- to put it politely. It just pooped into my head that way. I guess you can say that my mind must have been in the gutter-so-to speak. Maybe my Id, Ego, and Super Ego made me play a little game of word association with myself. Who knows? And as for the accountants, that would not be a nice thing, would it? I love the art counting beans myself and wanted to become one but seeing as how I'm slightly dislexic I thought it best to leave that one alone.You never know when some mobster will come along and break your kneecaps and then make you take a dirt nap because you placed a decimal in the wrong place and made all his money go bye-bye :shock: Know what I maen?
"What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compaired to what lies inside us." R.W.E.

skinem
Grand Panjandrum

Postby skinem » Mon Jun 19, 2006 1:42 pm

Dyslexics of the world untie!

Huny
Lexiterian

Postby Huny » Mon Jun 19, 2006 1:43 pm

And as an acronym, it means Dial-Up Networking (in Microsoft-ese).

-Tim
My gosh, I thought for a second there I was reading something my ex-husband was writing! You sound just like him. This computer lingo stuff...They call him "The I.T. Natzi" at work. (The irony in all that is he is Jewish.) I told him if he didn't start being nice to the users, it would LAN him in a lot trouble. :roll:

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Mon Jun 19, 2006 1:57 pm

I'm whit yuo!

BTW: what keeps the dyslectic agnostic up at night? Wondering if there is a dog?

Huny, I guess that your husband must have a constant diet of spam. Lan sakes!
"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once. Lately it hasn't been working."
Anonymous

gailr
Grand Panjandrum

Postby gailr » Mon Jun 19, 2006 1:57 pm

May I recommend my brother's IT title: "I-T Grand Pouba". It doesn't have any disturbing baggage and rather invites groveling and/or chocolate-bribing from those who want something from him...

-gailr

Huny
Lexiterian

Postby Huny » Mon Jun 19, 2006 2:03 pm

See, there I go. Can't even spell dyslexic correctly. :?

Huny
Lexiterian

Postby Huny » Mon Jun 19, 2006 2:09 pm

Huny, I guess that your husband must have a constant diet of spam. Lan sakes!
By this do you mean "garbage in-garbage out"? :lol:

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Mon Jun 19, 2006 4:37 pm

No, that's the old meaning of GIGO from the early days of Data Processing. The new meaning is Garbage In Gospel Out, which is what usually happens.
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Mon Jun 19, 2006 5:07 pm

This is where I might have to lan on out of here. Garbage in gospel out is too fraught with potential contention.

BTW note that lam is slang of uncertain origin. Can gospel say as much?[/u]
Anonymous

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”