quiescent

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
skinem
Grand Panjandrum

quiescent

Postby skinem » Fri Jul 14, 2006 11:27 pm

Quiescent
qui-es-cent (adjective)
(kwee ess nt)

Inactive or at rest

Quiescence (noun)
Quiescently (adverb)

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Sat Jul 15, 2006 6:01 pm

I remember this word from long ago. Back in the early 1970s spent several summers as a Good Humor Man, selling ice cream on a route from a truck. The frozen pops (Popsicle happens to be a trademark, so Good Humor's "nickel-sicle" was called a Jet) said on their ingredients list ". . . quiescently frozen . . . ." When I looked it up, I figured the pops didn't scream as they were frozen . . . :wink:

As it turns out, I was close. Check out How Stuff Works or The Straight Dope, but do it quietly. 8)
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

gailr
Grand Panjandrum

Postby gailr » Sun Jul 16, 2006 1:15 am

... When I looked it up, I figured the pops didn't scream as they were frozen . . . :wink:
Tell me, Clarice - have the pops stopped screaming?

Huny
Lexiterian

Postby Huny » Sun Jul 16, 2006 1:43 am

... When I looked it up, I figured the pops didn't scream as they were frozen . . . :wink:
Tell me, Clarice - have the pops stopped screaming?
Why, Dr., I thought you only ate pops before they stopped screaming...
"What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compaired to what lies inside us." R.W.E.

Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Bailey » Sun Jul 16, 2006 11:13 am

with some fava beans and a little Chianti...

mark

Today is the first day of the rest of your life, Make the most of it...
kb

Huny
Lexiterian

Postby Huny » Sun Jul 16, 2006 11:41 am

mark
...Now ya want me to do ya a fava? What is this, quid pro quo or somethin'? Can't ya just be nice and quiescently for once in ya life and not eat all the hors d'oeuvres? By the way, would you like some cheese with that wine?... or maybe just a cup of "Joe" to try and cleanse the palette?...
"What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compaired to what lies inside us." R.W.E.

gailr
Grand Panjandrum

Postby gailr » Mon Jul 17, 2006 6:47 pm

...Now ya want me to do ya a fava? What is this, quid pro quo or somethin'? Can't ya just be nice and quiescently for once in ya life and not eat all the hors d'oeuvres? By the way, would you like some cheese with that [gr edit]wino?...[/gr edit] or maybe just a cup of "Joe" to try and cleanse the palette?...

Huny
Lexiterian

Postby Huny » Mon Jul 17, 2006 7:17 pm

...Now ya want me to do ya a fava? What is this, quid pro quo or somethin'? Can't ya just be nice and quiescently for once in ya life and not eat all the hors d'oeuvres? By the way, would you like some cheese with that [gr edit]wino?...[/gr edit] or maybe just a cup of "Joe" to try and cleanse the palette?...
:lol:

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:59 pm

, , ,
I have a friend, a great teller of tales, often tall, who swears he was at a raw bar (an establishment that serves raw oysters) when the guy next to him took delivery of a plate of oysters on the half-shell and stared at it for a few moments, as if he wasn't sure what to do. My friend said to him, "If you bite them just right they won't scream on the way down." Said guy got a funny look on his face and walked off, leaving said friend to take possession of the plate of oysters. Knowing him as I do, it's hard to tell if this is a tall tale or a true tale.
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

Brazilian dude
Grand Panjandrum

Postby Brazilian dude » Mon Jul 17, 2006 10:06 pm

"If you bite them just right they won't scream on the way down."
Oh, just now do I realize this is what I was supposed to tell the ladies last week. Ouch!

Brazilian dude
Languages rule!

Huny
Lexiterian

Postby Huny » Mon Jul 17, 2006 10:34 pm

, , ,
I have a friend, a great teller of tales, often tall, who swears he was at a raw bar (an establishment that serves raw oysters) when the guy next to him took delivery of a plate of oysters on the half-shell and stared at it for a few moments, as if he wasn't sure what to do. My friend said to him, "If you bite them just right they won't scream on the way down." Said guy got a funny look on his face and walked off, leaving said friend to take possession of the plate of oysters. Knowing him as I do, it's hard to tell if this is a tall tale or a true tale.
Great story, stargzer!! :lol: Sounds to me like your friend had a lot of siblings while growing up...he sounds like a survivalist- but maybe not by choice. He-he.

Huny
Lexiterian

Postby Huny » Mon Jul 17, 2006 10:37 pm

"If you bite them just right they won't scream on the way down."
Oh, just now do I realize this is what I was supposed to tell the ladies last week. Ouch!

Brazilian dude
Real lady charmer there, BD. I always did hear that latin men were, well... :wink:

Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Bailey » Mon Jul 17, 2006 11:28 pm

mark
...Now ya want me to do ya a fava? What is this, quid pro quo or somethin'? Can't ya just be nice and quiescently for once in ya life and not eat all the hors d'oeuvres? By the way, would you like some cheese with that wine?... or maybe just a cup of "Joe" to try and cleanse the palette?...
yeah a big fava, more puns! As a classmate in 6th grade said to me, "Well, I've had horse dovers too and fillet mignon and it's just fish!"

mark

kb

Brazilian dude
Grand Panjandrum

Postby Brazilian dude » Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:40 pm

Real lady charmer there, BD. I always did hear that latin men were, well...
Whatever they have told you is wrong. Don't believe them. I'm the walking proof that's a load of baloney!

Brazilian dude
Languages rule!

Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Bailey » Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:54 pm

I dunno, All the SA men I've met assured me the rumors are all true. Of course I have no first-hand experience.

mark

kb

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”