speculation

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

speculation

Postby Bailey » Mon Jul 17, 2006 2:09 pm

spec·u·la·tion (spky-lshn)
n.
a. Contemplation or consideration of a subject; meditation.
b. A conclusion, opinion, or theory reached by conjecture.
c. Reasoning based on inconclusive evidence; conjecture or supposition.
a. Engagement in risky business transactions on the chance of quick or considerable profit.
b. A commercial or financial transaction involving speculation.

The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition copyright ©2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Updated in 2003. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.

ThesaurusLegend: Synonyms Related Words AntonymsNoun 1. speculation - a message expressing an opinion based on incomplete evidence
guess, supposition, surmisal, surmise, conjecture, hypothesis
opinion, view - a message expressing a belief about something; the expression of a belief that is held with confidence but not substantiated by positive knowledge or proof; "his opinions appeared frequently on the editorial page"
divination - successful conjecture by unusual insight or good luck
2. speculation - a hypothesis that has been formed by speculating or conjecturing (usually with little hard evidence); "speculations about the outcome of the election"; "he dismissed it as mere conjecture"
conjecture
hypothesis, theory, possibility - a tentative theory about the natural world; a concept that is not yet verified but that if true would explain certain facts or phenomena; "a scientific hypothesis that survives experimental testing becomes a scientific theory"; "he proposed a fresh theory of alkalis that later was accepted in chemical practices"
3. speculation - an investment that is very risky but could yield great profits; "he knew the stock was a speculation when he bought it"
venture
investment funds, investment - money that is invested with an expectation of profit
gamble - money that is risked for possible monetary gain
smart money - money bet or invested by experienced gamblers or investors (especially if they have inside information)
pyramid - (stock market) a series of transactions in which the speculator increases his holdings by using the rising market value of those holdings as margin for further purchases
4. speculation - continuous and profound contemplation or musing on a subject or series of subjects of a deep or abstruse nature; "the habit of meditation is the basis for all real knowledge"
meditation
musing, reflection, rumination, thoughtfulness, contemplation, reflexion - a calm lengthy intent consideration
It seems like the gas stations are practicing futures speculations at the pump. I know the gas they had in the tanks yesterday that they sold at $3.00.99, didn't all of a sudden get more expensive so they have to charge $3.15.99 today. Canyou say profiteering?

mark
I wish I had the $$ to speculate on Etrades.com

Today is the first day of the rest of your life, Make the most of it...
kb

gailr
Grand Panjandrum

Re: speculation

Postby gailr » Mon Jul 17, 2006 7:49 pm

It seems like the gas stations are practicing futures speculations at the pump. I know the gas they had in the tanks yesterday that they sold at $3.00.99, didn't all of a sudden get more expensive so they have to charge $3.15.99 today. Canyou say profiteering?

mark
I wish I had the $$ to speculate on Etrades.com
Time to add a second definition to local holdup. (Note: I didn't comment on "probe".)
-gailr

Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Bailey » Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:43 pm

So, it's just a natural progression on the original production of the Oy-ill?

mark

Today is the first day of the rest of your life, Make the most of it...
kb

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”