simony

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
uncronopio
Lexiterian

simony

Postby uncronopio » Fri Jul 21, 2006 10:26 pm

simony |ˈsīmənē; ˈsi-| noun chiefly historical.

The buying or selling of ecclesiastical privileges, for example pardons or benefices.

DERIVATIVES simoniac |sīˈmōnēˌak; si-| adjective & noun simoniacal |ˌsīməˈnīəkəl; si-| adjective

ORIGIN Middle English : from Old French simonie, from late Latin simonia, from Simon Magus, Acts 8:18.
"Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest." -- Mark Twain

gailr
Grand Panjandrum

Postby gailr » Sun Jul 23, 2006 6:53 pm

Interesting: simonize as a product name seems...untarnished.

Although, this ad conforms to all the unpleasant connotations in uncronopio's formal definition.

"Out, damned spot! out, I say!" :twisted:

-gailr

Palewriter
Lexiterian

Postby Palewriter » Sun Jul 23, 2006 7:37 pm

Interesting: simonize as a product name seems...untarnished.

Although, this ad conforms to all the unpleasant connotations in uncronopio's formal definition.

"Out, damned spot! out, I say!" :twisted:

-gailr
How right you are, gailr. I hate to wax critical about this, but -- my gosh -- girls in tanktops waxing cars? Shades of Paris Hilton? When I was a lad, the only...um...hooters that vehicles had were the kind that went "honk honk" in times of distress.

Almost makes me ashamed of my metier.

-- PW
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention to arrive safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow!!! What a ride!"

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”