epigone

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
Susan
Junior Lexiterian

epigone

Postby Susan » Mon Aug 21, 2006 8:51 pm

I keep reading this word in The New Yorker, used in the sense of "inferior imitator". Of course, the writers in The New Yorker do like to obfuscate on occasion.

Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Bailey » Mon Aug 21, 2006 9:27 pm

ep·i·gone (p-gn)
n.
A second-rate imitator or follower, especially of an artist or a philosopher.

[French épigone, sing. of épigones, from Greek Epigonoi, sons of the seven heroes against Thebes, from pl. of epigonos, born after : epi-, epi- + gonos, child, seed; see gen- in Indo-European roots.]

epi·gonic (-gnk) adj.
e·pigon·ism (-pg-nzm) n.

The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition copyright ©2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Updated in 2003. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.

ThesaurusLegend: Synonyms Related Words AntonymsNoun 1. epigone - an inferior imitator of some distinguished writer or artist of musician
epigon
aper, copycat, emulator, imitator, ape - someone who copies the words or behavior of another

mark the-original-all-others-are-pale-imitations Bailey
just kidding

Today is the first day of the rest of your life, Make the most of it...
kb

Susan
Junior Lexiterian

epigone

Postby Susan » Mon Aug 21, 2006 9:52 pm

Thanks--very interesting. You made me get out my OED, which had a very nice definition: "One of a succeeding generation. Chiefly in pl. the less distinguished successors of a distinguished generation." There is also an obscure second definition used in botany: "The membranous flask or bag which encloses the spore case of a liverwort or scale-moss when young. Also the nucule of a Chara." So, what is a nucule? "One of the seeds of a nuculanium [!]; a nutlet..." These botanists...[/i]

gailr
Grand Panjandrum

Postby gailr » Mon Aug 21, 2006 11:10 pm

This word cries out to be used in a business setting, perhaps in commenting on the suggestion of "difficult" peer? "Schmutznik's idea is the epigone of long-range planning!" :wink:
-gailr

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:32 am

The problem with an epigone is that he isn't gone; but annoyingly here.

The use of he is for the sake of simplicity only.
"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once. Lately it hasn't been working."
Anonymous

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: epigone

Postby Slava » Wed Dec 24, 2014 1:39 pm

An ancient suggestion, but I'm going to add my vote to seeing done up. I was surprised to see that it is actually pronounced Epigone, not e-PIGE-ony as I expected. Along the lines of e-PIT-omy.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”