Crumpet

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
Palewriter
Lexiterian

Crumpet

Postby Palewriter » Sat Aug 26, 2006 1:47 am

Crumpet n.

A cross between a cake, a biscuit (US usage) and a pancake. Once (possibly still in some quarters) enjoyed in England for breakfast, toasted and drowned with gobs of butter, a preserve or honey.

Possibly related to the Welsh pancake, or crempog, and the Breton krampoez. So probably of Celtic origin.

One of those "pan breads" that exists in virtually every culture in some form or another (tortilla, pannbröd, pancake, chapati, etc)

Also slightly outdated British English slang for a woman you find attractive. As in "Blimey, look at that piece a crumpet standin' over by the jukebox."

Find a recipe for the first kind here.

-- PW, who loves both kinds :-)
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention to arrive safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow!!! What a ride!"

Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Bailey » Sat Aug 26, 2006 9:11 am

PW, that's a lot of yeast to put into your breakfast. I think here we are mostly used to eating soda or baking powder breads i.e. bisquits, pancakes, cake all are made with baking powder.

mark just-an-observation Bailey

Today is the first day of the rest of your life, Make the most of it...
kb

Sunny
Junior Lexiterian

Crumpets!

Postby Sunny » Sat Aug 26, 2006 10:54 am

Crumpets are a long-standing treat in our family with only one bakery in our huge city that does a decent job of making them. There is nothing like a toasted crumpet with a pat of real butter, and a drizzle of real Canadian maple syrup. Delectable!

For the other meaning of crumpet, well...lets just say I would rather be called a crumpet than a lot of the things I hear these days. (Here is where I start on a rant about the demoralization of women etc etc, but it is Saturday and the coffee is good, and the sun is shining.....so I am not going to get started).
One word frees us of all the weight and pain of life: That word is love. Sophocles (496 BC - 406 BC)

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:01 am

Bailey, I think there's a typo in the recipe. It looks like it should be one package OR one cake of yeast, not one of each. That's about normal for three cups of flour. Alas, the time and labor required to prepare the crumpets keeps most of us chowing down on sodium-containing baking powder-based breadstuffs for breakfast.
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

sluggo
Grand Panjandrum

Re: Crumpet

Postby sluggo » Sat Aug 26, 2006 5:52 pm

Crumpet n.
Also slightly outdated British English slang for a woman you find attractive. As in "Blimey, look at that piece a crumpet standin' over by the jukebox."
-- PW, who loves both kinds :-)
-related to strumpet?

A rhyme brings to mind another favourite palidrome:
Stop! Murder us not, tonsured rumpots!
Stop! Murder us not, tonsured rumpots! Knife no one, fink!

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”