ubiquitous

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
Sunny
Junior Lexiterian

ubiquitous

Postby Sunny » Tue Aug 29, 2006 4:54 pm

I love when I come across an unfamiliar word when reading rather dull technical articles. Today, this word had me wiggling in my seat to get to the other computer to research it.

It came from an article about Trapeze Networks. "As wireless technology becomes ubiquitous, new channels are opening up for Trapeze, Vogt said."

OK, I admit it. I am a geekette and a nerd! To have two of my passions come crashing together in one article, one word.....it's like heaven for this girl.

ubiquitous \yoo-BIK-wih-tuhs\, adjective:
Exisiting or being everywhere, or in all places, at the same time.
One word frees us of all the weight and pain of life: That word is love. Sophocles (496 BC - 406 BC)

Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Bailey » Tue Aug 29, 2006 5:41 pm

I love that, it's one of my favorite words I use it all the time, you could say it's ubiquitous
omnipresent: "plodded through the shadows fruitlessly like an ubiquitous spook" Joseph Heller.

u·biqui·tous·ly adv.
u·biqui·tous·ness n.

The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition copyright ©2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Updated in 2003. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.

ThesaurusLegend: Synonyms Related Words AntonymsAdj. 1. ubiquitous - being present everywhere at once
omnipresent
present - spatial sense; being or existing in a specified place; "the murderer is present in this room"; "present at the wedding"; "present at the creation"
just a small embellishment on ubiquitous, :lol:

mark cloned-self-to-be-ubiquitous Bailey

Today is the first day of the rest of your life, Make the most of it...
kb

Palewriter
Lexiterian

Postby Palewriter » Wed Aug 30, 2006 12:45 am

I've been searching simply everywhere for a word like that. :-)

I am a geekette
Wouldn't that be a "geekess?" The "-ette" ending is so...um...diminutive.

All in fun.

-- PW
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention to arrive safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow!!! What a ride!"

Sunny
Junior Lexiterian

Postby Sunny » Wed Aug 30, 2006 2:15 am

How very interesting Palewriter!

I have strived for years to become a geekette, but now that I see your interpretation, with the diminutive thought in mind, that is not at all who I have worked so hard to become. However, Geekess....like the Goddess of computers has such a grand sound to it. I love it, you have set the bar higher and now I must strive harder to achieve the greatness of being a computer Geekess.

Hilarious,

And I thank you. :wink:
One word frees us of all the weight and pain of life: That word is love. Sophocles (496 BC - 406 BC)

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:14 am

Yes, Geekess is much better.

The Geekettes were a large group of IBM female computer engineers famous for their ubiquitous high kicks, during their mandatory afternoon exercise classes.
"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once. Lately it hasn't been working."
Anonymous

Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Bailey » Wed Aug 30, 2006 10:17 am

there is no gender ident on geek why twist it, why not leave it geek for both of the male or female persuasion? I really hate all the chairman, chairwoman cr@p, woman ends in man anyway we do not say womaness. why bother to change all the words to accomodate the feminazis [they even drag the nice ladies into it] As you see I feel strongly about all this.

mark Actually-it's-a-mild-pet-peeve Bailey
I gotta get a new trademark my middle name is way overused now

kb

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:51 am

Good point. Of course if Sunny wants her femininity noted,perhaps she could be the Godess of Geeks?
"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once. Lately it hasn't been working."
Anonymous

Sunny
Junior Lexiterian

Postby Sunny » Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:55 am

Ouch! We found a sore spot.

Geekette, or Geekess is personal, and an aspiration and title for me. I don't see myself falling into the Geek catagory and is just a made up word for my own use and goal setting. It fits for the vision I see in my head and keeps the humour alive.

I have had the honour of holding several positions in my life: chairperson, chairman, actor, actress, mother, father, newsman, repairman, chambermaid and the fry guy (McDonalds a million years ago), salesman, etc and it doesn't make a difference to me what the title is as long as the job gets done.

On the flip side, I have yet to see a man taking the title of chambermaid, midwife, etc, although they quite often are doing the job. My cosmetician is a man, and my housekeeper is a man, and the person who fixes my car is a woman. Often I try to find gender neutral titles so as not to offend the person I am speaking too.

You made my day though, and gave me something to think about. As I travel the streets today I will be looking at all the people in their various roles...and relating their titles to them. Interesting.
:shock:

Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Bailey » Wed Aug 30, 2006 1:47 pm

Ouch! We found a sore spot.
present company excepted of course, I did say there wetre nice ladies caught up in the madness.

chairperson, chairman, actor, actress, mother, father, newsman, repairman, chambermaid and the fry guy(,) salesman, etc and it doesn't make a difference to me what the title is as long as the job gets done.
On the flip side, I have yet to see a man taking the title of chambermaid, midwife, etc, although they quite often are doing the job. My cosmetician is a man, and my housekeeper is a man, and the person who fixes my car is a woman.
This is exactly what I'm talking about, repairman, Actor, and chairman are gender neutral already, so is cosmetician for that matter. a male housekeeper is a Butler or Janitor depending on duties although Butlers often find a lot of dusting and vacuuming in their job discriptions. A male midwife? a midhusband? Oh please, madness I tell you; madness.

You made my day though, and gave me something to think about. As I travel the streets today I will be looking at all the people in their various roles...and relating their titles to them. Interesting.
:shock:

Hang around. You will be shocked and amazed.

mark trying-to-keep-a-straight-face Bailey

kb

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”