TRANSITORY

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
tcward
Wordmaster

TRANSITORY

Postby tcward » Fri Sep 01, 2006 2:13 pm

I expect everyone here knows the meaning of this word, but I was wondering if there were possible semantical connotations of transitory versus temporary. In common usage, it seems most people use them interchangeably.

I was struck by the Online Etymology Dictionary's implied physical aspect in the meaning of this term:
transitory
c.1374, from O.Fr. transitoire (12c.), from L.L. transitorius "passing, transient," from L., "allowing passage through," from transitus, pp. of transire "go or cross over" (see transient).
-Tim

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Fri Sep 01, 2006 3:45 pm

Tim,

Even though you intimated that Asheville has become a suburb of Charlotte :evil: , it's good to see one of your postings. Missed you boy! 8)

I can see where the words can be interchangable; but many other situations where they would not be.

I would never use transitory for a crown or filling; only temporary. In the area of employment; if I took a job for a short time, I would call it a temporary job. Conversely, I am currently in a transitory position at work.

(I was running a desk in executive search for a bit more than a year; but the company felt that I was not making sufficient headway. I was given a brief sabbatical, and then aksed to be the chief of staff for one of the Veeps who will be running a nonprofit that our company established. We are poised to commence acting on our new brief; but for the last 2 months I have had transitory duties as a recruiter for this VP, who is still running a desk.)

Many types of pain and neurological symptoms aere better described as transitory than as temporary. Sometimes these symptoms not only come and go, but also travel along an axis.
"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once. Lately it hasn't been working."
Anonymous

tcward
Wordmaster

Postby tcward » Mon Sep 04, 2006 2:48 pm

Trust me, Perry, you are probably as happy about those suburbial prospects as I am. I don't live in Charlotte proper, but the city limits have consumed almost the entire county.

And yes, the reference to types of pain is certainly a valid one. I would say in that case you can actually feel the pain traveling through your body...? Also, whereas temporary would seem to indicate a one-time event, transitory can be used to describe something that comes and goes. Or at least I would think that way...

-Tim

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”