nigh

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

nigh

Postby Bailey » Sun Sep 03, 2006 4:37 pm

nigh (n)
adv. nigh·er, nigh·est
1. Near in time, place, or relationship: Evening draws nigh.
2. Nearly; almost: talked for nigh onto two hours.
adj. nigher, nighest
1. Being near in time, place, or relationship; close. See Synonyms at close.
a. Being on the left side of an animal or vehicle: pulling hard on the nigh rein.
b. Being the animal or vehicle on the left: the nigh horse.
prep.
Not far from; near.
tr. & intr.v. nighed, nigh·ing, nighs
To come near to or draw near.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Middle English neigh, from Old English nah, nh.]

The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition copyright ©2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Updated in 2003. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.

ThesaurusLegend: Synonyms Related Words AntonymsAdj. 1. nigh - being on the left side; "the near or nigh horse is the one on the left"; "the animal's left side is its near or nigh side"
near
left - being or located on or directed toward the side of the body to the west when facing north; "my left hand"; "left center field"; "the left bank of a river is bank on your left side when you are facing downstream"
2. nigh - near in space or time
near, close - not far distant in time or space or degree or circumstances; "near neighbors"; "in the near future"; "they are near equals"; "his nearest approach to success"; "a very near thing"; "a near hit by the bomb"; "she was near tears"; "she was close to tears"; "had a close call"
Adv. 1. nigh - near in time or place or relationship; "as the wedding day drew near"; "stood near the door"; "don't shoot until they come near"; "getting near to the true explanation"; "her mother is always near"; "The end draws nigh"; "the bullet didn't come close"; "don't get too close to the fire"
close, near
2. nigh - (of actions or states) slightly short of or not quite accomplished; `near' is sometimes used informally for `nearly' and `most' is sometimes used informally for `almost'; "the job is (just) about done"; "the baby was almost asleep when the alarm sounded"; "we're almost finished"; "the car all but ran her down"; "he nearly fainted"; "talked for nigh onto 2 hours"; "the recording is well-nigh perfect"; "virtually all the parties signed the contract"; "I was near exhausted by the run"; "most everyone agrees"
all but, almost, just about, nearly, well-nigh, near, virtually, most, about
Mark nigh-unto-knee-high Bailey

Today is the first day of the rest of your life, Make the most of it...
kb

Sunny
Junior Lexiterian

Postby Sunny » Sun Sep 03, 2006 4:51 pm

I have always used this word as I used to hear it from my Nana when I was a little girl. It had several meanings: size, measurement, closeness, and affection. Slightly different than what you posted for the true definition of this word.

It is funny when I think of it now, Johnny Cash, pot roast, knitting, Stampede Wrestling and being nigh to my Nana. Perfection! :D
One word frees us of all the weight and pain of life: That word is love. Sophocles (496 BC - 406 BC)

Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Bailey » Sun Sep 03, 2006 6:11 pm

Sunny, it does have a lot of 'folk' applications that weren't listed.

mark nigh-unto-wrong Bailey

Today is the first day of the rest of your life, Make the most of it...
kb

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”