Scuppernong

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
Grogie
Senior Lexiterian

Scuppernong

Postby Grogie » Mon Sep 04, 2006 10:04 am

This names a type of grape native to the southeastern United States. It produces a very sweet wine. This word is indeed an interesting-sounding one! I,m assuming it comes from one of the native Indian languages.

skinem
Grand Panjandrum

Postby skinem » Mon Sep 04, 2006 12:56 pm

Haven't heard it called this before.
But, if you'd said "muscadine", I would have known exactly what you were talking about!

Grogie
Senior Lexiterian

Postby Grogie » Mon Sep 04, 2006 4:32 pm

Thanks Skinem. I,ve since discovered that it,s also sometimes called ''bullace''.

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Mon Sep 04, 2006 8:00 pm

By coincidence, we tasted scuperdongs for the first time 8 days ago. We bought them at the Farmers Market on Brevard Road in Southwest Asheville.

The woman who sold them to us, said that they were local, but we couldn't make out what she had called them. The grapes are delicious; however the seeds are very bitter. It is best to bite into the grape gingerly (which is a challenge as the skin is very firm), locate the seeds and then enjoy the flesh of the fruit.

Apparently scupernongs are named for a town of that name in the NC Coastal Plain; near the Albemarle Sound on the inland side of the Outer Banks Islands. There is also a Scupernong River.
Last edited by Perry on Mon Sep 04, 2006 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once. Lately it hasn't been working."
Anonymous

Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Bailey » Mon Sep 04, 2006 10:33 pm

How odd I was just trying to find out about the name of my favorite grapes I want to grow in my yard, Thanks, Grogie, I'm saving seeds to try to grow some from them, but buying small vines would be so much easier,

mark likes-to-grow-fruit Bailey

newsflash: this just in, I am too far north to grow any muscadines. Heavy sgh.

Today is the first day of the rest of your life, Make the most of it...
kb

Grogie
Senior Lexiterian

Postby Grogie » Tue Sep 05, 2006 4:43 am

Perry. Thanks for that wonderful information. Bailey, maybe you,ll get those grapes to grow where you live after all.

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”