monger

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
ardensinclair
Junior Lexiterian

monger

Postby ardensinclair » Wed Sep 06, 2006 11:22 pm

I just came across ironmongery in a book I'm reading. It reminded me that I'd meant to suggest monger as a Good Word. I've always liked the words cheesemonger, fishmonger, gossipmonger, and, more recently, diseasemonger.[/b]

Palewriter
Lexiterian

Re: monger

Postby Palewriter » Thu Sep 07, 2006 1:25 am

I just came across ironmongery in a book I'm reading. It reminded me that I'd meant to suggest monger as a Good Word. I've always liked the words cheesemonger, fishmonger, gossipmonger, and, more recently, diseasemonger.[/b]
Indeed a great word.

Interesting that I used to buy fish from a fishmonger, hardware from an ironmonger, cheese from a cheesemonger, but bread from a baker and vegetables from a greengrocer.

Regardless of that:

ME mongere, from OE mangere, from L mango, dealer (in slaves?), probably of Greek origin.

And further:

"from a noun derivative of Gk. manganon "contrivance, means of enchantment," from PIE base *mang- "to embellish, dress, trim." (Online Etymological Dictionary)

-- PW
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention to arrive safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow!!! What a ride!"

gailr
Grand Panjandrum

Postby gailr » Thu Sep 07, 2006 5:04 am

Interesting that I used to buy fish from a fishmonger, hardware from an ironmonger, cheese from a cheesemonger, but bread from a baker and vegetables from a greengrocer.
I see that one can acquire fruits, "particularly apples," from a costard monger.

And don't forget the perennially popular wars and rumormongers of warmongers. (How do you like them apples?)

-gailr

Palewriter
Lexiterian

Postby Palewriter » Thu Sep 07, 2006 2:39 pm

I see that one can acquire fruits, "particularly apples," from a costard monger.

And don't forget the perennially popular wars and rumormongers of warmongers. (How do you like them apples?)

-gailr
Indeed. Fruits and veggies were once sold by a coster. Costers* and hawkers, along with Frenchmen on bicycles selling onions, and gypsies going door-to-door selling wooden clothes pegs are all part of a more picturesque not-so-long-ago. Now replaced by Tescos.

-- PW

*The coster is immortalized in the Gilbert & Sullivan lyric:

"When the coster's finished jumping on his mother,
He loves to lie a-basking in the sun,
Ah, take one consideration with another,
A policeman's lot is not a happy one."
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention to arrive safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow!!! What a ride!"

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Thu Sep 07, 2006 4:30 pm

Good work PW. I also rememberd coster-mongers, but didn't have the time to look it up.

BTW, is the guy who sells frozen custard at the nearby Grove Arcade a custard monger?
"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once. Lately it hasn't been working."
Anonymous

gailr
Grand Panjandrum

Postby gailr » Thu Sep 07, 2006 7:58 pm

BTW, is the guy who sells frozen custard at the nearby Grove Arcade a custard monger?
No, he is the devil. :wink:
-gailr

Huny
Lexiterian

Postby Huny » Thu Sep 07, 2006 8:23 pm

I thought a custard monger was someone who had general envy...Oh, that would be Custer, not custard... :roll:
"What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compaired to what lies inside us." R.W.E.

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Thu Sep 07, 2006 11:12 pm

I suppose that a sales trainer could be termed a monger monger.
"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once. Lately it hasn't been working."
Anonymous

Palewriter
Lexiterian

Postby Palewriter » Fri Sep 08, 2006 12:34 am

I suppose that a sales trainer could be termed a monger monger.
Of course. And the guy who does purchasing estimates for the veggie salesguy would be a coster coster.

--PW

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”