Jonesing

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
Palewriter
Lexiterian

Jonesing

Postby Palewriter » Mon Oct 09, 2006 12:36 am

Jones (v)

Apparently formed from the noun, which was (is?) used as slang for heroine. Of unknown origin (though suspected to have been derived from some famous addict).

Current usage: "I'm jonesing for a cigarette." "I sure hope I get that raise; I'm really jonesing for it."

-- PW
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention to arrive safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow!!! What a ride!"

sluggo
Grand Panjandrum

Re: Jonesing

Postby sluggo » Mon Oct 09, 2006 10:15 am

Jones (v)

Apparently formed from the noun, which was (is?) used as slang for heroine. Of unknown origin (though suspected to have been derived from some famous addict).

Current usage: "I'm jonesing for a cigarette." "I sure hope I get that raise; I'm really jonesing for it."

-- PW
Hey, there's an entry for the slang test.
I recall after living abroad for months and by then thinking in French (circa 1980), I found I had completely unlearned this term and had to beg a definition. So when did it go away? I'm jonesin' for some subculture slang here...
Stop! Murder us not, tonsured rumpots! Knife no one, fink!

Palewriter
Lexiterian

Postby Palewriter » Mon Oct 09, 2006 10:48 am

I recall after living abroad for months and by then thinking in French (circa 1980), I found I had completely unlearned this term and had to beg a definition. So when did it go away? I'm jonesin' for some subculture slang here...
In its verb form, it's still very much alive and well, though I've only heard it used in its -ing form.

I don't recall ever having heard jones used as a noun, but then I lead a rather sheltered life and don't hang out with very many heroinistas. :-)

I've been jonesing for a credible etymology for some time.

-- PW
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention to arrive safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow!!! What a ride!"

sluggo
Grand Panjandrum

Postby sluggo » Mon Oct 09, 2006 10:56 am

In its verb form, it's still very much alive and well, though I've only heard it used in its -ing form.

I don't recall ever having heard jones used as a noun, but then I lead a rather sheltered life and don't hang out with very many heroinistas. :-)

-- PW
No I've never heard it as a noun either (that I remember). But it does put the old R&B tune "Me and Mrs. Jones" in a whole new light...
Stop! Murder us not, tonsured rumpots! Knife no one, fink!

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Mon Oct 09, 2006 12:48 pm

. . . I don't recall ever having heard jones used as a noun, but then I lead a rather sheltered life and don't hang out with very many heroinistas. :-)

-- PW
Then you also must have missed Cheech and Chong.

I remember this song, but wrongly thought it was by the National Lampoon.

To save you the popups, I copied this from this site.
Basketball Jones featuring Tyrone Shoelaces
Cheech & Chong
Written by Richard A. "Cheech" Marin and Thomas Chong

- parody of "Love Jones" by Brighter Side Of Darkness

- as recorded by Cheech & Chong on their 1973 album "Los Cochinos"

- all-star band included George Harrison, Carole King, Billy Preston and Tom Scott,
with Darlene Love and Michelle Phillips (The Mamas & The Papas) as cheerleaders.

- single peaked at #15 in 1973

Basketball Jones

Basketball Jones, I got a Basketball Jones
Got a Basketball Jones, oh baby, oo-oo-ooo

Yes, I am the victim of a Basketball Jones
Ever since I was a little baby, I always be dribblin'
In fac', I was de baddest dribbler in the whole neighborhood
Then one day, my mama bought me a basketball
And I loved that basketball
I took that basketball with me everywhere I went
That basketball was like a basketball to me

I even put that basketball underneath my pillow
Maybe that's why I can't sleep at night
I need help, ladies and gentlemens
I need someone to stand beside me
I need, I need someone to set a pick for me at the free-throw line of life
Someone I can pass to
Someone to hit the open man on the give-and-go
And not end up in the popcorn machine
So cheerleaders, help me out

{cheerleaders sing repeatedly...}
(Basketball Jones, I got a Basketball Jones)
(I got a Basketball Jones, oh baby, oo-oo-ooo)

{while Tyrone Shoelaces sings/speaks...}
Oh, that sounds so sweet
Sing it out
C'mon Coach Booty, Red Blazer, sing along with me
That be bad, honky
Yeah
I want everybody in the whole stadium to stand up and sing with us
Oh yeah, sing it out like you're proud
All right, everybody watchin' coast-to-coast, sing along with us
Bill Russell, sing along with us
Chick Hearn, sing along with us
Chris Schenkel, don't sing nothin'

Oh, it feels so good
Gimme the ball
I'll go one-on-one against the world, left-handed
I could stuff it from center court with my toes
I could jump on top of the backboard, take off a quarter, leave fifteen cents change I
could, I could dribble behind my back I got more moves than Ex-Lax I'm bad I could
dribble with my tongue Here I go down court, try to stop me You can't stop me 'cause I
got a Basketball Jones Here I come That's my hook shot with my eyebrow Yeah, I could
dunk it with my nose I'm, I'm bad as King Kong, gimme the ball I'm hot, I'm hot as...,
I'm hot as..., I'm hot as... uh Uh, uh, uh, uh

(Basketball Jones, I got a Basketball Jones, I got a Basketball Jones, Basketball Jones)
(Basketball Jones, I got a Basketball Jones, I got a Basketball Jones, Basketball Jones)
{fade}
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Bailey » Mon Oct 09, 2006 5:37 pm

that's funny, Gzer, I was thinking of BasketBall Jones as soon as Jonesin' was suggested, I forgot it was by Cheech and Chong though. What a funny pair. The Corsican Brothers ride again!

mark likes-Cheech-Marin-better-now-that-he's-mellowed-though Bailey

Today is the first day of the rest of your life, Make the most of it...
kb

Palewriter
Lexiterian

Postby Palewriter » Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:21 pm

Then you also must have missed Cheech and Chong.
You're quite right, geezer. Evidently one of my many cultural lacunae. I was probably off doing something else. :-)

-- PW

gailr
Grand Panjandrum

Postby gailr » Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:52 pm

That song was like a song, ladies and gentlemens, to the would-be subversives way back when. The written lyrics cannot capture the effect of hearing that falsetto voice over a bowl of rice crispies before school.
-gailr

Palewriter
Lexiterian

Postby Palewriter » Mon Oct 09, 2006 11:58 pm

That song was like a song, ladies and gentlemens, to the would-be subversives way back when. The written lyrics cannot capture the effect of hearing that falsetto voice over a bowl of rice crispies before school.
-gailr
Still jonesing for that old "snap, crackle and pop", gailr?

-- PW

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”